News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Portugal 10 Centavos 1965

Started by ghipszky, September 26, 2010, 07:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghipszky

This is an interesting coin that I think is from Portugal. It also has an interesting design. The coin is 16mm. What else is to be learned from this little coin? For instance, what type of cross it that?
Ginger

ghipszky

This is an interesting little coin from Portugal I think. I know it was minted in 1965 and it is 16mm in diameter. I would like to know what the other designs are on this coins. Like what type of cross is this?
Ginger

chrisild

The five "quinas" supposedly represent five Moorish rulers who Afonso Henriques beat in the battle of Ourique. Then again, there are other theories too. :) In any case, they are part of the Portuguese CoA, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Portugal#Escutcheons_and_bezants

Christian

chrisild

Merged the two topics into one. :) The Portugese coat of arms appears on pretty much every modern coin from Portugal - either in its entirety, with the armillary sphere, or partially as in the case of this 10 centavos coin. Interestingly, the five "dots" on each quina/escutcheon seem to be bezants and thus basically coins ...

Christian

ghipszky

Thank you Christian. I don't know much about coins from Portugal.
Ginger

lusomosa

Hi Ginger,

This is the very first coin where you can see the cross that later became the symbol on every Portuguese flag and many Portuguese coins. It is gold and minted by the son of the first portuguese King.
This was Sancho I ( 1154-1211 ) they weight about 4 g.

Of corse there were several developments after this first coin, but the concept was already there.

LP

chrisild

Thanks! A much better and more detailed image of a morabitino than the one we have over here. ;)

Christian

Figleaf

To show the connection between the symbolism on this extreme beauty and the more traditional rendition, consider this fragment from the "tapis de Bayeux". The shields the foot soldiers hold up against the cavalry are exactly the reverse drop-shape shown on the coin. Replace the shape of the shield with the usual heraldic shield shape (rectangular with rounded bottom) and you get the present symbolism.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ghipszky

Thanks guys, the gold coin is beautiful. The piece of "tapis de Bayeux" helps to link the past to the future of the heraldic shield.
Ginger