Chilean mint - Santiago

Started by africancoins, September 25, 2010, 12:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

africancoins

Would this piece have originally been in a mint set ?

It seems to be that sort of thing.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Great fun piece, Paul. I think I see wear, which would suggest a canteen or coffee machine token. For that hypothesis, your token's shape, weight and diameter should not be similar to any contemporary official coin. Sorry, I am far away from my books.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Does look like a mint token that would be included in a proof set or suchlike.  "Wear" could come from having been broken out of a set and left to rattle about in a jar for a number of years, not just from circulation or machine use.  No joy from Googling the key elements on the piece, though.  You'd need to see a Chilean mint set to be sure, and I'm not having much luck finding images of any of those with a quick search either!

Martin
NZ

africancoins

I was thinking it would either be from a mint set or just be an advertiser/sample.

The side with the large mint mark doesn't have much wear - some wear would be from the life that the piece has more recently enjoyed in the numismatic market.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

andyg

I wondered what the 1743 date was, a quick google later and I found out that 1-X-1743 is the date in which the mint opened... but then on the Casa de Moneda website it said 1749
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

chrisild

Both 1743 and 1749 are correct, in a sense. :)  According to this page http://www.cmoneda.cl/sobre-casa-de-moneda/seccion-corporativa/nuestra-historia , the 1-Oct-1743 date refers to the Royal Decree that established the Santiago mint. And on 10-Sep-1749 the first coin was minted there ...

Christian