Author Topic: Uniface silver medal  (Read 924 times)

translateltd

Uniface silver medal
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
This isn't mine, but it has piqued my curiosity.  Can anyone go any further than the bare details on the medal?  I make the legend out as GLORIA IN EXCELSIS (Glory in the highest).  The face looks like a skull to me - a representation of Death?

It's apparently 40 mm in diameter, "silver", and uniface.  From the fabric and style of the lettering I'd have said early 17th century, but it could be later and just poorly struck (cast?)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:18:49 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Re: Uniface silver medal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
If it had a loop, I would guess a modern cast good luck angel charm.  As it is presented, I don't know but it is an interesting piece.  Has the look of old Silver to me.
Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
I don't think it's death, but wear. Death is usually portrayed as male with a sickle attribute. The key to identifying is probably the two objects the angel is holding, but I can't identify either. I agree on 17th century style. My first thought was "communion medal", but that's purely speculation. In fact, my second thought was decoration of religious furniture, which at this stage is just as likely. If you wish, I can point you to an expert in religious medals.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
Does it have anything to do with the plague?