Author Topic: CHARMS ??  (Read 1077 times)

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
CHARMS ??
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »
A friend who come back from Viet Nam give to me these items and say to my that is charms. The weight is around 200 grams and the diameter around 125 mm and the metal  is i think laiton with a noise of clock. Is realy or fake ? and i dont arrive to read the inscriptions . Some body know ?
Thank you  Gerard

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: CHARMS ??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
These pieces are usually referred to as "temple tokens". They are used for religious ceremonies and as burial money, One side is made to resemble a coin, the other side has a religious connotation. They are usually made of brass (laiton).

The upper piece imitates a coin of emperor Jen Tsung (1796-1820). The characters are (vertically) Chia Ch'ing and (horizontally) t'ung pao - current coin of the period Chia Ch'ing.

Still looking for the second. The period name starts with Ming (as in the dynasty), which makes little sense to me. The horizontal characters are again t'ung pao.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:51:52 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:39:24 PM »
The second one I think is Ming Mang (Thong Bao), ruler of Vietnam 1820-1841... but I'm no expert!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Quite right, Andrew. Both 明 and 命 are pronounced as ming in Chinese!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »

The upper piece imitates a coin of emperor Jen Tsung (1796-1820). The characters are (vertically) Chia Ch'ing and (horizontally) t'ung pao - current coin of the period Chia Ch'ing.

The second character isn't correct for Jiaqing (Chia Ch'ing) - it's actually the reign title of the Vietnamese emperor Gia Long (1802-20).