Author Topic: Troubled coins  (Read 19337 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Troubled coins
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »
The kerning of the Pearse mural hurts my eyes.
Nothing pretty about that mural...especially the blood coming from the bottom of the word Peace.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Starting in post #102 we had a discussion of the clover leaf symbol used on these political issues. Here's an older image struck on the reverse of an 1883 Florin...the oldest coin to date. This was offered by Whyte's in a recent auction, but didn't sell. I would have bid on it but wasn't aware of the auction until after the fact.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2021, 10:43:11 PM »
You should have asked about it, some auction houses sell unsold lots at 10% under estimate.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2021, 01:07:51 AM »
I have done that in the past but had no success. I did go online earlier to see if I could find the auction the coin was in but haven't found it yet. I'm almost positive it was Whyte's in Dublin that listed it. I'll have to spend a little more time looking

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2021, 01:06:21 PM »
These two coins are part of the Belfast Collection and reference the Na Fianna (NF) or the youth wing of the IRA. Also known as the Na Fianna Eireann (Warriors of Ireland) the group is as old as the IRA itself and stretches back to the First World War and the Irish Cuvil War of the early 1920's. The two coins are both 2-shillings dated 1951 and 1963. Apparently, the initials were struck with a center punch rather than a die. Collector's notes are as follows:

"NF" on two separate coins: 19/ 12/ 77 both given in change at CC shop in BMY. C asked if I would take them in my change
 as that f****** eejit was out the back hammering away at all his change. I think he meant S who worked for him doing odd
 jobs. I told him aye why not and sure if he wanted to give me more I'd be happy to accept them. Stood and had a smoke and a yarn with C and he told me he was worried about S as he was turning into a super provie and had already joined the Fianna."

Additional notes from Seller in way of explanation:

""NF" refers to Na Fianna the youth wing of the IRA. CC was most likely Charles Cosgrave who owned a small shop in BMY Ballymurphy. I have no idea who S was but my father has a later entry in his notes "Young S was blown up by his own bomb yesterday." He doesn't name S. Super provie is a mocking term that is used to describe someone who is overly eager in their beliefs. There are variations, superprod, supertaig, and so on."

Bruce

Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »
A Na Fianna mural on Beechmount Ave, in The Falls, West Belfast.

Bruce
Always Faithful