Author Topic: E1N ZOBL by Helmut Zobl  (Read 3007 times)

constanius

E1N ZOBL by Helmut Zobl
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »

Hand-struck from hand-engraved dies; aluminum/aluminium 44mm convex obv. concave rev. Calling/visiting card of Helmut Zobl, medalist/engraver of Vienna. Obv. Self-Portrait. Rev. E1N ZOBL & contact info. First struck for his fiftieth birthday in 1991, this example was struck in 1994. 
His site is well worth a visit.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.helmut-zobl.at/werke/&ei=IfWwSteZBcuL8Qa9j7mKDw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFragen%2Bzu%2BProf.%2BZobls%2BWerken%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den
Helmut at work & teaching his skills to children.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: E1N ZOBL by Helmut Zobl
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
EXCELLENT!

Helmut Zobl was born in 1941 in Schwarzach St. Veit, Salzburg and received
training at the School for Metal Crafts in Steyr.  From 1960 to 1965, he
completed a study at the Viennese Academy of the Sculpting arts under
Professor Ferdinand Welz.  He taught there from 1967-1970.  He was
awarded the honorary title of Professor in 1999.  Since 1970 he has been a
freelance medallists, sculptor, painter and professional artist in Vienna.

He has participated in exhibits in Vienna, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Hall in Tyrol, Basel,
Düsseldorf, Paris, Copenhagen, Udine, Rome, Budapest....

He is a member of the Vienna Seccession and has been since 1971.  In 1994 he received first
place for medal art at the international exhibition in Kremnica.  The Muenzkabinett in Dresden has
a number of his works.

In 2001 he completed his 1100th piece.
http://www.austriancoins.com/zobl.html

Dale
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:15:58 AM by Niels »

constanius

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »
Copy of a message I left on his site in the guestbook 09/01/2009
Hi Helmut, I just purchased your 50th birthday 0n a calling card 43.5mm aluminum Planchet (trial strike?) And discovered your wonderful site. I have had my eyes opened to your fabulous work.
Regards, Patrick

and his reply

16/11/2009 Helmut Zobl
Hi Patrick!
Thank you for your message. It gives me pleasure that its possible to find "Zobl" far away. This coinage is of only a business card and not for payment. It is a follow up to the medal "Mozart in 1991 dollars. During my work on it I discovered that Mozart wanted to make the people cheerful with his music. This cheer you can find also in the medal "1Zobl.
Warm greetings and best wishes
Helmut Zobl

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Interesting...some years ago when I was building my website, he corrected a few errors I had on his page....at that time he didn't speak English.

So I wonder if he just didn't want to or his website has a secretary...

Dale

Copy of a message I left on his site in the guestbook 09/01/2009
Hi Helmut, I just purchased your 50th birthday 0n a calling card 43.5mm aluminum Planchet (trial strike?) And discovered your wonderful site. I have had my eyes opened to your fabulous work.
Regards, Patrick

and his reply

16/11/2009 Helmut Zobl
Hi Patrick!
Thank you for your message. It gives me pleasure that its possible to find "Zobl" far away. This coinage is of only a business card and not for payment. It is a follow up to the medal "Mozart in 1991 dollars. During my work on it I discovered that Mozart wanted to make the people cheerful with his music. This cheer you can find also in the medal "1Zobl.
Warm greetings and best wishes
Helmut Zobl

constanius

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »
I viewed his website using google translate, & the original message was of course translated(by google), & below it there was already a translation supplied.

Here is his original reply: 16.11.2009 Helmut Zobl
Hallo Patrick-danke für Deine Nachricht-freut mich, dass der "Zobl" auch in der Ferne zu finden ist. Diese Prägung als Visitkarte ist aber keine Prägung für offizielles Geld, sondern eine Fortsetzung zum "Mozarttaler 91", wo ich die Entdeckung machte, dass Mozart mit seiner Musik die Menschen heiter macht und das sollte auch in der Arbeit mit "1 Zobl" zu finden sein.
Herzlichen Gruss und alles Gute, Helmut

So perhaps someone else translates his messages, or he uses an online translator etc.

I really like these

& this
http://www.helmut-zobl.at/img/db/pics/712.jpg

Pat
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:45:13 PM by constanius »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
This translation is too good to be made by a machine. Anyway, any engraver who knows how to work with children and has the patience to answer his web site generated mail has my respect and sympathy.

In addition, I like his style, mixing medieval and modern. I have seen medieval coins that look like abstract art.

I have some coin "greeting cards" somewhere. If I find them, I will post them here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
How appropriate for a coin and medal designer to have a "coin" as his business card. Very nice piece!

Christian