Author Topic: Machine struck chinese province coinage 1900-50s  (Read 1288 times)

Offline gxseries

Machine struck chinese province coinage 1900-50s
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
Thought I start another insane project as usual and this time, featuring machine struck Chinese province coinage.

http://www.gxseries.com/numis/china/china_province.htm

Not as fun as I thought it could be! Of course, there is no counterfeits here as far as I know.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Machine struck chinese province coinage 1900-50s
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
Brave. I think you will find that there are counterfeits. Not as many as among the cast coins, but enough and good enough to fool experts.

Good looking collection. What's your favourite?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gxseries

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
I personally find coins issued by foreign powers quite interesting. For instance, the Qingdao and East Hopei coins. Maybe next is Xinjiang, Jilin and Guizhou coins. Guizhou coins are honest tough. You might know it for issuing automobile silver coins as well as world's only antimony coins. Fascinating era.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
I share your interest in the East Hopei coins.

As for Qingdao, it gave its name to China's best known beer: Tsing Tao. The story is that the brewery was established by the Germans, who couldn't go without a high quality beer. They discovered that Chinese hop was better than anything they had at home (China still dominates the hop for beer market). After a period of Japanese ownership (Asahi), the brewery became Chinese owned, later publicly owned. In a tumultuous and very violent period of time, all parties agreed that Tsing Tao was the best beer in East Asia (it probably still is.) Can you post a picture of a Kiauchou coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.