Portuguese gold coin

Started by lusomosa, September 02, 2007, 11:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lusomosa

If you seen this Portuguese gold coin and know nothing else about it ( I'll post it tomorrow )
What are your thoughts about it ????

Is it a GOOD COIN or a FORGERY.

It was sold at Auction.....

LP

Figleaf

(Pssst, you forgot to include the pic!)
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

lusomosa

I see....
I'll try to find it back , Thanks

LP

bruce61813

Many times weight alone will give a fake away. Given two coins the same diameter, and the same thickness, the real gold should be twice as heavy as either bronze or silver. It's density is about 22, while silver and copper run about 11. So jst looking at the dimensions and weight [ if those are accurate] will tell you a lot.

Bruce

lusomosa

Here's the Pic , Finally...

LP

Figleaf

Seems a lot like Gomes D. Jo?o III 152.01 to me. My only doubt is that the top castles left and right in the shield are placed lower than the top center castle, while on the pic in Gomes they are aligned.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

lusomosa

I think your identification is correct Peter, But I have lots of doubt about the text on the REVERSE.
The letters seem to just disappear from the die and not worn off. In fact On the top the letters appear to be worn but the outer rim is still well visible.

The points in the middle of the weapon don't seem to be very symmetrical. I'll try to enhance the detail.

It was nevertheless sold for 3600? + taxes

LP

lusomosa

Here's the center,
The points on the top shield and on the central one seem good, but the others not so much.

LP

Figleaf

Isn't there a letter too many in VINCES?

All in all, either a sloppy die or a waste of ?3600. In both cases, the tax collector wins.

Peter

lusomosa

YES you are right,

VINCEES in wrongly written.

LP