Author Topic: Euro Quiz (twelve questions)  (Read 5117 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Euro Quiz (twelve questions)
« on: August 07, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
Let's see if you know the euro coins. :) This little quiz is about the circulation coins from the 20 euro countries (including Estonia and the three non-EU countries). It does not take commemorative €2 coins and collector coins into account.

Also, when I ask about "euro coins", that refers to all eight denominations, dated 1999-2010. Mintmarks do not count as depictions. If the design is the same for more than one denomination, it is counted as one.

1 - How many euro coins show the word "Europe" (in any language)?

2 - How many plants (flowers, leaves, etc) are on the coins?

3 - How many animals can be found on the euro coins?

4 - Which is the only euro coin that has the word "God"?

5 - How many living people (ie. alive at the time of issue) are on the coins?

6 - How many different maps can you find on euro coins?

7 - How many sculptures or statues are on the coins?

8 - How many churches do you see on the pieces?

9 - And how many musical instruments?

10 - Which coins are "repetitive", ie. show the country name or the value twice?

11 - Are there any ships on the euro coins, and if yes, how many?

12 - How many castles can you see on the euro pieces?

Saw a similar quiz a couple of years ago, and "expanded" it for the World of Coins. Any ideas?  8)

IMPORTANT: Since Peter kindly offered a prize, please do indeed submit your replies via PM, and not here. If you want to win, send that message within the next ten days - by Tuesday, 17 August, 23.59.59 h CEST. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:57:26 PM by chrisild »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Euro Quiz (twelve questions, no prizes)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »
The winner (most answers correct or the first to answer all questions correctly) receives 25 coins from me. Please do not post your answers, but send them in a PM to Christian.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
Re: Euro Quiz (twelve questions, no prizes)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:03:24 PM »
I've sent my answers.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Euro Quiz (twelve questions)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
Keep your PMs and e-mails coming; I won't comment on them ahead of time though. As an added incentive, I'll throw a Vatican coincard in, with a 50 cent 2010 coin in there, for the second best guess.

Oh, and this quiz is not about being the first with the correct answers. So please do not submit more than one "list of solutions" - instead, take your time, take your coins (or a catalog) and ponder. :) You have a few more days ...

Christian

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
PM sent  ;D

Really funny. Thank you very much.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
You guys are amazing. Parts of your replies are much more detailed (in fact, better) than what I had thought of. :)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »
This is just a reminder - you have about 15 hours until the deadline. So far the number of replies has been underwhelming, but then again that means I don't have to read and check too many solutions. 8)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
Ta-daa, we have two winners. Actually the two who wrote here that they would participate are also the two with the best and most detailed replies. Congratulations, ciscoins and izotz! Later today/tonight I will post the "solutions". Thanks to all who participated!

Christian

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »
I didn't participate because I don't know anything about euro coins and my catalog is old enough that very few are even listed.
I could have researched it online but then I would want a schon catalog and one thing leads to another   ;D

Dale

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:35:31 AM »
This turned out to be quite difficult ... for me. Why? Because I have no idea who is the winner here. 8)

Thank you to everyone who participated; I hope it was fun for you too. Not many responded and provided their solutions. Was a little surprised about that - after all, more than 500 people have apparently viewed this topic. Well, maybe most of them did what Dale did - think that some "euro experts" would be better anyway.

And guess what, in a few cases the answers were better than the "solutions" that I had in mind. Congrats! Also, I should have specified how to count: For example, if you have three different portraits of the same monarch, does that count as one or three? My fault, sorry.

Now both ciscoins and izotz provided very good explanations along with the figures (allowing me to do a recount). This also made it easy to leave the mintmarks aside; I had stated that they would not count, but due to the detailed information (and not just a total figure) I simply ignored them. :)  And now let's see ... I will post my "solutions", and add what these two winners wrote.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 12:41:07 AM »
1) How many euro coins show the word "Europe" (in any language)?
--> One. (The Greek €2 piece.)
--> And both were right ...

2) How many plants (flowers, leaves, etc) are on the coins?
--> Six. (Encian AT 1 ct, Edelweiss AT 2 ct, Primrose AT 5 ct, Oak twig DE 1-2-5 ct), Cloudberry (Fi €2), and an abstract tree (FR €1-2).
--> ciscoins got those right, and added the leaves on the CoA from MT 10-20-50 ct and SM €1. izotz: same six, plus what ciscoins added, plus the tiny little leaves in the CoA of Monaco (1-2-5 ct), plus the twigs on the SM €1. He also mentioned the fleur-de-lis design in the Vatican Sede Vacante coins; welllll ;)

3) How many animals can be found on the euro coins?
--> 17. Lion (FI 1-2-5-10-20-50 ct), Eagle (DE €1-2), Bull (GR €2), Owl (GR €1), Horse (IT 50 ct), Stork (SI 1 ct), two Lipica horses (SI 20 ct), heraldic horse/rider (MC 10-20-50 ct 2001-04), two swans (FI €1), four horses at the top of Brandenburg Gate (DE 10-20-50 ct), and two mufflons (CY 1-2-5 ct)
--> ciscoins got those, except the horse from the monument on the Italian 50 ct coin (if we count heraldic animals, we should also count monumental animals, hehe) and the Brandenburg Gate horses. izotz did not mention those four Berlin horses either.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:09:59 AM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »
4) Which is the only euro coin that has the word "God"?
--> In a narrow sense, there is indeed one (which both got right) - the Dutch €2 piece. But if we take other languages into account ...
--> ciscoins pointed at the DEO JUVANTE motto (MC 1-2-5 ct), and izotz referred to the text „Shivι naj vsi narσdi“ (SI €2) which means "God's blessing on all nations".

5) How many living people (ie. alive at the time of issue) are on the coins?
--> 8: Albert II (BE, all), Beatrix (NL, all), Henri (LU, all), John Paul II (VA, all), Benedict XVI (VA, all), Juan Carlos (ES 1€-2€), Rainier III and Albert (1€-2€ MC)
--> Both correct.

6) How many different maps can you find on euro coins?
--> 8: 5 common sides, 2 (3) Estonia, 1 France €1, €2
--> Both mentioned the common sides, and the Estonian map(s). OK, the number "8" is somewhat arbitrary. :) There are indeed five different maps on the common sides (1-2-5 ct, 10-20-50 ct old and new, €1-2 old and new). Now Estonia's map can count as one (if we ignore the tiny differences) or as three. And of course the hexagon on those two French coins is not actually a map but rather a symbolic country outline ...

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 12:52:25 AM »
7) How many sculptures or statues are on the coins?
--> 4: Sculpture by Boccioni (IT 20 ct), Liberty Statue (SM 2 ct), Marc Aurel (IT 50 ct), Brandenburg Gate Quadriga (DE 10-20-50 ct), CY €1-2
--> Both got that right.

8 ) How many churches do you see on the pieces?
--> Three: the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela (ES 1-5 ct), St. Stephen's cathedral in Vienna (AT 10 ct), and the Basilica del Santo (SM 10 ct).
--> izotz listed those three; ciscoins added a fourth one - the Temple of Mnajdra (MT 1-5 ct) which may not be a church but sure was/is a religious building.

9) And how many musical instruments?
--> 1: The Celtic (Brian Boru) harp on all Irish coins.
--> Both got that right.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 12:54:57 AM »
10) Which coins are repetitive, ie. show the country name or the value twice?
--> 19. Portugal (country name, three types), Austria (denomination, all coins), Greece (ditto)
--> ciscoins did not mention Portugal, but added MT 10-20-50 ct (country name in the CoA). izotz got the three, and added various coins that have the "2" value on the edge, plus the coins from Cyprus which have the same country name in tow languages, plus the SI €2 piece which has the country name on the obverse and on the edge ...

11) Are there any ships on the euro coins, and if yes, how many?
--> 4: Greece 1 ct, GR 2 ct, GR 5 ct, Cyprus (10-50 ct)
--> Both got that right.

12) How many castles can you see on the euro pieces?
--> 3: Bratislava castle (SK 10-50 ct), Castel del Monte (IT 1 ct), Belvedere (AT 20 ct)
--> ciscoins did not mention the Belvedere but added the castle crown of the Maltese CoA (MT 10-20-50 ct), plus the 7 heraldic castles on the Portuguese coins, plus the castles on six coins from San Marino (1 ct, 5 ct, 20 ct, 50 ct, €1, €2). Now izotz got the same three that I had; he also mentioned the SM coins but did not count them as they are towers ...

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
Great!!!! I'm a lucky guy.

Regarding the low number of contestants, maybe they were waiting for those "Euro experts". But the fact is that you can find the euro coin designs in dozens of webs, so that you can check most of the questions. For some of them, you need a little extra effort, but not really much more. I can't really consider myself an expert at all.

I suppose some people decided that these days (Summer vacations) they would lay down on Spanish beaches instead of counting plants on coins. Wise choise. When I answered my wife about what I was doing maybe she thought about asking for divorce, considering a mental disorder. When I told her I could win a "money" prize, he gave up with that idea, maybe because she thought she could buy a new pair of shoes with that  :P .

I must admit, I took more time with this than I expected, so that day I could hardly send my solutions and write a short message here. But I wanted to insist on the fact that I really enjoyed with this, so other people could do the same and enjoy too.

Regarding the winner of the quiz... Come on chrisild! Be a responsible moderator and take your decisions! We need one winner!  ;D Ok, ok, let's fair play and share the honor.  :)

Sharing this quiz is the great prize by far. Thanks again.

(By the way, I did mention the castles of Portugal. I wondered about Malta crown as a castle, but I decided not to include it as a castle, as it represents the fortifications of Malta and denotes a city state.  :-\ )
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:43:46 AM by izotz »