Author Topic: where from is the countermark ?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline lusomosa

where from is the countermark ?
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »
greetings,

I saw this coin on the net and the coin is from GOA , Portuguese under Philip III ( Phillip IV in Spain ) .
Where is the countermark from . It looks like : GAL with these letters written of top of each other.

LP

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: where from is the countermark ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »
The countermark is Dutch. After approval of a locally based goldsmith, who tested weight and silver content of the coin, the Portuguese coin was declared valid for circulation in Ceylon, according to a resolution of 19th April 1655. The counterstamped tanga circulated for 5 or 6 stuivers, the double tanga for 10 stuivers. The countermark is formed by the letters GAL for Galle, with Colombo Jafna and Trincomalee the mint cities of the VOC on Ceylon. This particular combination of coin and counterstamp is not listed in Scholten (1265-1273) or KM (Shri Lanka 52-56). A similar counterstamp was used on Portuguese coins in Colombo (VOC balemark with a C) and Jafna (VOC balemark and I).

These counterstamped coin are all RR-RRR. Most counterstamped coins are worn. The copy you show is really very well preserved. It may go up to $1000.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »
I assume the depicted Saint is St. Thomas. What a great coin!
richie

Offline lusomosa

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:46:36 PM »
Thanks, Figleaf I had the impression that it was Dutch ( has Holland used lots of Portuguese coins from India ) but I had no idea about the GAL.

The Saint is Saint Phillip !!!!  ( same name as the king ) , Many buildings in this period had as well the same Saint name.

Thanks

LP

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:01:56 PM »
St. Phillip and not St. Thomas?   :o
Grumble, grumble.

Oh, well. It's still a great coin.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 11:59:40 PM »
Depending on the size, the base coin is a tanga (Gomes ?ndia/D.Filipe III 06) or a double tanga (Gomes ?ndia/D.Filipe III 17). The figure of the saint stands between S and F for S?o Filipe (Saint Philip). The saint's legs split the date. The century is not visible because of the fold in the planchet, the year is obliterated under the counterstamp. The arms should divide G and A (Goa), but the G is taken care of by the impression of the counterstamp and the A is again in the fold. All this if the coin is properly identified.

Scholten reports a counterstamped double tanga 1642 Goa with the TA monogram between D and S (De Seyl?o) which I cannot find in Gomes. He also mentions a counterstamped double tanga 1650 with S and I (Seyl?o ?ndia?) which may be Gomes ?ndia/D.Jo?o IV 06. The tangas (one of which is inadequately descibed) are Goa D and M (De Malaca) types (Gomes ?ndia/D. Filipe III 09.01, 11.01, 11.02, 11.03) and furthermore Gomes ?ndia/D.Filipe III 15.01 with St. Lawrence's rake and a coin like Gomes ?ndia/D.Filipe III 06 but with date 1642. According to Scholten, the two coins not in Gomes occur in the catalog of the Colombo museum, numbers 86 and 92.

Lusomosa, could you let me know where you found this pic? I would like to try cleaning up the KM listings in the next edition and to submit an illustration.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline lusomosa

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »
Hi figleaf,

This coin is up for sale in October in Germany.   here  www.kuenker.de   
It is listed under the Portuguese coins.... Nothing mentioned about the dutch or Sri lanka.
that's why I started asking around ;).

It is up for grabs... Good luck with the biding.

LP