Author Topic: Vatican 50 cents to circulation?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Vatican 50 cents to circulation?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
These little "micro" states sure got a good deal with the advent of the Euro didn't they?  Non membership but proximity to a nearby entity reap untold rewards.  Not even sure why they can make Euro denominated coinages in the first place since their coins never circulate anyway.

The three (MC, SM, VA) had similar monetary agreements in the pre-euro years: Monaco had one with France, San Marino and the Vatican had agreements with Italy. The current monetary agreements basically continue that tradition. All three have issued coins (franc and lira respectively) before the euro came, and in my opinion it made sense to allow them to do that with euro cash too.

And quite obviously hardly anybody cared, in the years of the franc and the lira, whether any of these countries issued its coins at face or not. (SM and VA even issued entire sets of "circulation" coins with new designs every year; something that they cannot do with their euro coins.) But then, about ten years ago, people all over the world suddenly became aware of the three, and of the fact that they are allowed to issue euro coins. Boo, how unfair of them to do what they have done for decades ... ::)

The good thing about collecting coins is that we are free to set our own goals and decide for ourselves what a "complete" collection is. For example, you can always say that you don't collect any coins which are not issued for circulation. Or, specifically with regard to euro coins, you may decide that you only want the coins from EU member states. That will automatically leave the three out, and also take care of Andorra - in case AD makes a monetary agreement some time in the future.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
Maybe the EU just decided to give the fellas a hand. Everyone knows how much they can use the extra income. Especially Vatican of course.

Hehe. :) And yes, of course I also prefer coins to be issued for circulation. I do have a few Vatican coins, lira and euro, but I consider them to be an optional side dish - nice but I don't "have" to have them ...

Christian

Offline Luis

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »
Hehe. :) And yes, of course I also prefer coins to be issued for circulation. I do have a few Vatican coins, lira and euro, but I consider them to be an optional side dish - nice but I don't "have" to have them ...

Christian

That's true. In my case, I don't even care much for my euros. However, a German friend with whom I've been swapping for 3 years took the liberty of buying San Marino and Vatican sets and offered them to me for the same price.

So I have those, plus a couple of coins from Monaco, but I didn't bother with getting any coins with the new map and whatnot. To be honest, I lost track of all the varieties one is supposed to have...

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
The three (MC, SM, VA) had similar monetary agreements in the pre-euro years: Monaco had one with France, San Marino and the Vatican had agreements with Italy. The current monetary agreements basically continue that tradition. All three have issued coins (franc and lira respectively) before the euro came, and in my opinion it made sense to allow them to do that with euro cash too.

And quite obviously hardly anybody cared, in the years of the franc and the lira, whether any of these countries issued its coins at face or not. (SM and VA even issued entire sets of "circulation" coins with new designs every year; something that they cannot do with their euro coins.) But then, about ten years ago, people all over the world suddenly became aware of the three, and of the fact that they are allowed to issue euro coins. Boo, how unfair of them to do what they have done for decades ... ::)

Christian

Yes, indeed the distinction is that back in the franc, lira and peseta era nobody cared and the coins entered circulation so it was possible in Italy to get SM and VA coins in circulation, and perhaps get the MC coins in change in France.  The coinages have been a cash cow for all of the countries, but I think SM has the slickest campaign around and if you subscribe to their programme they have some nice coins.  I was one of the lucky ones that got the 2002 set of "circulation" coins, but like a fool I took the money and ran with it and peddled it off on fleaBay.  Now I kind of wish I had the set instead.

Another microstate that has some diplomatic privilege is the Order of Malta based in Rome, they never issued any more than collector coins though, and still do.  The quality of the pieces has slipped off dramatically from the very high relief gold and silver pieces in the 1960's though, and I don't collect them after about 1971 or so.

That said, I really could care less about the VA and MC coins, but I would like to see circulating coins from SM, it is Europe's oldest state and has a history of circulating coins with nice designs.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline Luis

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
it is Europe's oldest state and has a history of circulating coins with nice designs.

Although that might be true on paper, and depending on your definition, SM is basically a relic. Irrespective of their official position, it basically shares Italy's fate. Besides, it's too small for people to either be bothered by or feel compelled to respect said positions (see WW2 history).

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »
Yes, indeed the distinction is that back in the franc, lira and peseta era nobody cared and the coins entered circulation so it was possible in Italy to get SM and VA coins in circulation, and perhaps get the MC coins in change in France.

Some of them were issued for circulation, and did actually circulate to some extent. Others were issued in sets only. Not all that different from what the Vatican does now ...

That said, I really could care less about the VA and MC coins, but I would like to see circulating coins from SM, it is Europe's oldest state and has a history of circulating coins with nice designs.

Agreed about the designs. But in order to get San Marino coins, you can simply go there (or near SM) and pick them up from circulation. They still do not have a new monetary agreement with the EU, but all circulation coins (the "regular" 1 ct - €2 pieces, except €2 commems) have actually been issued for circulation.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »
In pre-euro years, demand for Vatican coins was small. Date sets were easily obtainable from the post office opposite St. Peter, in fact the last time I was there they still had some pre-euro date sets for sale there. Of course, those coins also didn't circulate.

However, on starting to use the euro, demand grew exponentially, simply because new collectors of euros combined with those who had always collected the coins of their own (Euroland) country and now wanted all the coins because at least in theory they could all circulate in their home country.

In other words, the situation changed dramatically and the Vatican issue method didn't.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 10:56:13 PM »
In other words, the situation changed dramatically and the Vatican issue method didn't.

That sounds as if it was up to the UFN how many coins the Vatican can issue. Except ... it's not.

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 11:44:14 PM »
I can confirm that San Marino lire coins did circulate widely in Italy -- I picked up several £200 and £500 coins in change when I lived in Naples. I never found Vatican lire in change, though, even though I went to Rome but never anywhere near San Marino.

I do have 1c, 2c, 5c coins of San Marino which I acquired relatively cheaply (also of Finland, which I acquired on the same occasion, bizarrely in Italy), but I've never come across Monaco or Vatican euros at anything near a price I'd consider paying.

Offline Sir Sisu

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
Glad I found this post! It helps explain why yesterday I found a 2016 €0.50 Vatican coin, and a few months ago I found a 2005 €0.50 Vatican coin in circulation. What it doesn't explain is how I found these circulating in Finland. :o :D

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »
Isn't it just like a coin collector to have a lucky day and wonder if he deserves it? :) Congratulations, Sir Sisu. I have had such lucky days also, but not as spectacular as yours.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Meritorious Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Visiting Rome and the Vatican City last year i did never see a Vatican coin in change money.
But one day in the Vatican post office a lady of our group insisted on getting a coin with the Pope´s portrait in her change.
So an uncirculated 50 cent piece with Pope Franciscus joined my collection.