Author Topic: KUANG-HSU 10 CASH OVER KOREA 5 FUN  (Read 6280 times)

Offline gxseries

Re: KUANG-HSU 10 CASH OVER KOREA 5 FUN
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
Peter, I think it's becoming way over complicated.

Original coins were not supposed to be overstruck and unless the mints ran out of planchets, they would not have done so. Of course, there are always possibilites of them running into greed and used Korean coins as planchets. Or they could just sell the dies to the counterfeiters. Fair enough - both are always a possiblity.

I had to check my collection and from my examples of four overstruck Chinese coins that I have - I unfortunately have to suspect that all of them are not struck with genuine dies as the calligraphy don't match known catalogs. This example here shown - I believe it may not be genuine either if I am given a better photo to study.

Have to continue this tomorrow as I am not feeling too well.

Offline Chinasmith

Re: KUANG-HSU 10 CASH OVER KOREA 5 FUN
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
These Chinese overstrikes on Korean 5 Fun are all forgeries. I wrote an article on these pieces for World Coins Magazine in the 1970's and Joe Cribb (curator Asian Coins at the British Museum) wrote about them in the 1980's in a British publication. We reached the same conclusion, that these were forgeries made using machinery and forged dies, but neither of us could say who made them. Recently someone wrote that they were made by Japanese, either in Korea or Japan (or both). This makes perfect sense. Around the turn of the century, there was a huge counterfeiting operation conducted by Japanese in Korea and Japan, using machinery, and mostly making nickel coins. During 1902-1904, Chinese 10 Cash were actually circulating for more than 10 cash -- about 88 to the dollar (instead of 100). That would have been the perfect time to overstrike Korean coins and circulate them in China.
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.