Foggia, IT: Lots of euro coins on the ground

Started by chrisild, July 07, 2010, 10:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Would you pick up a coin that somebody lost or left on the ground? And, would you do that on a freeway? ;D

"Motorists in southern Italy must have thought they had hit the jackpot after spotting piles of euro coins on a motorway. A security lorry carrying some two million euros (£1.66m; $2.5m) in one and two-euro coins overturned near Foggia. The lorry's rear door popped open, shedding the precious cargo. Before the police arrived, some drivers stopped their cars and made off with at least 10,000 euros." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10534338.stm

Christian

Figleaf

I have seen Italian motorists backing up on an autostrada. Nothing surprises me any more.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Another report in English: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1292528/Italian-motorists-coin-truck-carrying-2-MILLION-euros-sheds-load-carriageway.html  The image below shows small versions of the AP photos. To see larger images, have a look at the article page.

Christian

Figleaf

Missing 0.5% of the loot after such an accident isn't really very much anyway. Inefficient thieves or honesty after all? Looking at the guys in the picture, I don't think I'd mind even if they scooped up a handful of coins. They can probably use them very well.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on July 07, 2010, 05:12:45 PM
Inefficient thieves or honesty after all?

A mix of both, I suppose. Admittedly I don't really know more details, but if around the site of the accident traffic was moving at normal speed, then it would have been a risk to stop (on a freeway!) and get out of the car, only to pick up a couple of coins or a few rolls ...

Christian