Author Topic: Ilahi Years Plus Mint Plus Month  (Read 1015 times)

akona20

Ilahi Years Plus Mint Plus Month
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:36 AM »
Learning a new language is perhaps a little too much task at present but perhaps a way to ease into it is to collect at first the rupees from the few rukers who used the system of Ilahi years, months, and mints. Given the rather small number of things to learn on these coins perhaps this is the way to ease into things of Mughal rupees?

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Ilahi Years Plus Mint Plus Month
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:57:16 AM »
Reading the Year is not too difficult. However coins with the Ilahi year were minted only by Akbar and that too in the later part of his regime.
To start with, I found that it was easier to 'read' the coins of the later Mughals (Aurangzeb and after) since the coins follow one simple pattern and not too may variations.
I have found the coins of the early Mughals more difficult to fathom. However this is my personal experiance.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »
Perhaps I was being a little too literal in what I said because Shah Jahan and Jahangir use months on their coins as well.

Learning numbers by rote is not difficult (lol) but then going through the months of which there are only 12 and then the various mints would give me, I had believed, a little more grasp of the nuances of the sriting. Broadly by learning and elimating what I know and then working on the balance. Weird I know.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Well for me the 'reading' of the month has been more troublesome that the mint name. I agree that quite often the mint name is practically (almost totally) off the flan and one has to go by the small amount of ledgend that is visible. Different eras and you have the mint name written differently. Place names changed over time adding to the confusion and then the mint epithets add to your woes. Yet, for me, I found it easier to get the hang of a few mint names faster than I could get the months. May be months were concentrated only for the 3 rulers and later on the coins only had the years.

I salute your determination to learn a difficult language. (See Oesho's post here where he says K+W = G).

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
That is a wonderful thread you have referred to.

Is it going to be easy, no, BUT I am trying to take the easy way out.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
Dear Akona20, I admire your determination to learn the Arabic/Persian script on the Islamic coins of India.
You need to acquire some guidance, either by a tutor or a book (Plant: Arabic Coins and how to read them)
First you should get acquainted with the alphabet. Without it is impossible to get experience. Once you dream the alphabet from beginning to end to back, try to read simple printed text in a book or printed coin legend in a book or catalogue. That's the best exercise and you will definitely succeed.