News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

How to show a mis-alignment in orientation on a coin

Started by Globetrotter, September 15, 2022, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globetrotter

A new gimmick I just set up over the last days and it works

Globetrotter

Figleaf

Ingenious, Ole. However, I wonder which problem it solves. It's not photographing die rotation. If that's the problem, the solution is to make a picture of each side, rotate them in the right position and combine them.

If the problem is to make a cheat-proof picture, I wonder if this is the solution. You could make two pictures with different rotation in the same set-up, camera on a stand, delete half of each and combine the two other halves. Moreover, why do you need a cheat-proof picture? I can think of two reasons: a) selling the coin through the net and b) Numista requirements. Neither this set-up, nor another would solve these problems, because nothing can stop picture manipulators.

The only cheat-proof solution I can think of is quite impractical: a certificate with integrated picture signed by a notary public.

There is one more application I just thought of. Illustrating a presentation. I'd use a stand made of a mirror, a piece of flat glass and some Lego blocks. Use the mirror as the bottom of the stand. Make four pillars with the Lego blocks to hold up the glass plate above the mirror. Put coin on glass. Make picture at an angle, so that part of the other side shows in the mirror. You don't need to show the other side in full.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Since you are obviously more into finding ingenious contraptions than I am, how about a technology for photographing one side only of semi-transparent tokens (e.g. Russian metro tokens)? My trick produces oval token pictures.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I photograph (scan) them as they are, which usually means nothing is legible, but which gives an idea of the colour. I then go old-school and take a rubbing with a pencil and scan that.

I do the same for non-translucent plastic tokens that defy the scanner (yellow and bright red or orange are the worst culprits).