Author Topic: Peter in Philadelphia  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Peter in Philadelphia
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
Got a great postcard from Chrisild (see below). The text on the other side explains:

Peter the Mint Eagle

It is believed that Peter was the model for the American eagle appearing on US silver dollars (1838-1839) and the flying eagle cents of 1856-1858. Early in the 19th century, Peter adopted the U.S. Mint in Philadelpha as his home. When a flywheel he was perching on started suddenly, Peter's wing broke. He died a few days later. Peter's body was mounted and has remained in the Mint ever since.

Peter (not the winged one)
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Peter in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:04:26 AM »
Alas, I wish I knew how to be so subtle. Us Dutch prefer finger-in-your-eye directness ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
Us Dutch prefer finger-in-your-eye directness ;)

Hey, being blunt is what Germans are "famous" for. ;)  Did not really want to send any cards from this trip - but I laughed when I saw that one. Peter adopting a mint as his new home, that reminded me of precisely one person, hehe.

Christian

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
I just came across some old mint documents online talking about Peter. Interesting stuff. :)

Bruce
https://archive.org/details/peterthemintbirdstory18960507/mode/2up
Always Faithful