Author Topic: Housing the New Collection.  (Read 1314 times)

akona20

Housing the New Collection.
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »
Just finished re cataloging the fanams and housing them is relatively simple.

However in starting out on the ruppees of the Mughal Empire and the occasional Princely State I need to do a little more.

1. House the coin itself after examination.
2. Place this housed coin in a binder or something similar that has two pages of explanation for each coin.
3. The pages consist of the first page being a large picture of the coin with the full translation of the script, the coin's full attribution and catalogue number and the second page a breakdown of the script of the coin as per Overlord's demonstrations.

The pages can be encapsulated of course but it is the coin and the ability to file in such a folder with the obverse and reverse viewable that i am struggling with.

As you can see I have no real knowledge on what is available commercially.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Housing the New Collection.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
Have a look here. This page is in Dutch, but the pictures give you a good idea of what is commercially available.

This thread is on coin albums, while coin cartons are discussed here.

The main disadvantage of cartons is that the staples look ugly, while coin in self-adhesive cartons cannot be taken out without tearing the carton apart. If you want to take out the coins often, capsules, such as these may be more cost effective.

I find cartons and album pages at coin markets and coin dealers, but some shops selling office material carry them also. I all else fails you can mail-order them from the net.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
I looked in vain for suitable albums for thick Akbar coppers when I first started collecting Indian coins.  I never found albums in the least satisfactory for dump coins.  Trays are the only way I have ever found that are suitable for storing them, and especially for displaying them.  Yes, they are much more expensive than albums, but good discounts can be found on the 'net.  Flexibility, ease of moving coins when new purchases have to be added, and not having to squint at coins through shiny, reflective plastic are the advantages.  And you can hand a single coin to a colleague to look at, without having him or her trying to look at one coin in an album weighing nearly a kilogramme.  I say 'God bless Lighthouse and Lindtner.'  I know some collectors who use album pages stored loose, but most of the disadvantages still apply, I think.  Each to his own, but surely albums are only useful for thin and milled coinage?  For really thick takkas, you can always leave out the tray above in many kinds of cabinets.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:41:05 AM »
True, thick coins are a problem (though I was able to get my Ceylonese dumps in cartons and album) and very large coins and especially medals as wel as orders and decorations are also a problem. For all these, trays are a solution, albeit more expensive, as you noted.

Another drawback of trays is that many are made for different purposes. As a consequence, some are made of materials that damage coins, such as young or "juicy" wood, felt-like "floor covering" containing softeners and glue that attacks coins (I have some educational examples :( ). Good brand names selling stuff for coin collectors are OK (though not available world wide), most old second hand coin cabinets are fine (and really expensive), but watch out for el-cheapo trays made in China. I have never seen any made in Russia, but wouldn't trust them, as it is one of the last countries still making coin vinyls and coin album pages with softener.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
Points well taken, Peter

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.