Author Topic: Coins of 100 Nations  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Sumitha

Re: Coins of 100 Nations
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »
Wonderful thread.. I am very happy to see this thread. My goal is to collect coins from different countries. This is so much fun. I definitely would not want to buy all of it as a set. I have been buying coins from exhibition and from other collectors over the years. I have friends traveling abroad who have given me some spare coins. It is time consuming but I am getting to know about different countries and feels good.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2020, 07:05:18 AM »
Well, a very old thread indeed.

Just checked my list. The count is now 360. But not necessarily that much countries. The list has coins from German and Indian States as well.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Sumitha

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
Great , 365 is a very good number.
I am yet to catalogue all the coins in my collection. Was able to sort out 68 countries so far. I need to reach 100 first :). Are you using coin albums to store them as per country or how is it?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
I currently have coins from 151 countries and 171 issuers. Issuers consists of the 151 countries but also of 20 other official issuers that are not countries like for example the British crown dependencies.

Offline idiotghost

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »
Its lovely to read back old chats which was started as goal for me, almost a decade old now! I reached 100 countries in 2018, now at 116. Its difficult to climb the mountain uphill from here. ::) :-\ Recently picked up half a dozen countries at the recent Coin Exhibition at Vadodara over the weekend. They were going for Rs 10/piece, including 1 Euros coins! :o ;D

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 10:58:14 PM »
This is my latest "new" country - Saxe-Middle-Weimar which only existed from 1605 to 1640.

Anyway a question - do we have a majority view on what constitutes a country? - does this one count?
Numista seems to go to the far extreme - counting Rhodesia as a separate country to Zimbabwe for example.....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline idiotghost

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:17 AM »
This is my latest "new" country - Saxe-Middle-Weimar which only existed from 1605 to 1640.

Anyway a question - do we have a majority view on what constitutes a country? - does this one count?
Numista seems to go to the far extreme - counting Rhodesia as a separate country to Zimbabwe for example.....

It should count Andy in my opinion. I consider an "issuing authority" as a new type. It could be a country, territory, dependency, islands Ex-countries, etc.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
The definition of a country is clear enough: it requires a sovereign government, a defined piece of land (drilling platforms and office floors don't count), a permanent population (gotta have babies born and people dying there) and (but that is not consensus opinion) a degree of international recognition.

The farther you go back into history, the more and more important cases of doubt you will find. Were the Southern States of the US a country during the US civil war? They clearly had little or no international recognition. If so, was Biafra a country? It received masses of international support, but recognition? Is Taiwan a country? The Chinese are blackmailing official support away, but Taiwan is clearly treated as an independent and sovereign nation. Are the Chinese provinces countries? Not normally, but after the last emperor abdicated, they certainly behaved like countries, mostly without fear of whoever happened to be in charge in Beijing. Were the German states countries? They started out as sub-leases and finished as independent states, but at what exact point did they become countries? When did the Moghul empire stop being a country? Same for Timur's empire. Did the Chagataids rule a country from the day of Kublai Khan's death? Were the Celts, Frisians or Saxons ever a country anywhere? At what point did the Franks start a country?

I would argue that country is a modern invention, a concept for organising large amounts of people that for most of human history was impractical. It was preceded by a concept of inheritance that took no account of the population and looked only at blood lines and conquests. The concept was developed into its present form and function at the Congress of Vienna in 1815. Why not start counting countries in 1815 and ignore earlier forms?

And BTW, let's be generous and count feudal countries with a constitution as well as the UK as a country. >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »
It should count Andy in my opinion. I consider an "issuing authority" as a new type. It could be a country, territory, dependency, islands Ex-countries, etc.

I agree. A defunct country is still a country.

I'm up to 141 countries according to Numista. I'm still looking for my first from Eswatini.  ::)

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2020, 11:34:48 PM »
Once you start with states as separate issuing authorities then then number of coins to get rises somewhat.
A quick count I have coins from 144 German States (issuing authorities) - and I would image there are probably 3 times as many to find.....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....