Author Topic: Jersey coins catalogue  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Jersey coins catalogue
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:49:10 AM »
NEW BOOK ON JERSEY COINAGE
14 May 2010, Société Jersiaise

This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date publication attempted since McCammon’s “Currencies of the Anglo-Norman Isles” published in 1984.  It is designed to be of interest to both the casual observer and expert alike.  Two thousand copies are being published and will be on sale exclusively at the Société Jersiaise from 21 May. The book has been sponsored by UBS AG and the published price will be only £5, making it easily available to all.

This special book will be launched at 2:30 pm on 20 May 2010 at an event to be held in the Member’s Room at the Société.  The Lieutenant Governor, General Andrew Ridgway, who has written the foreword to the book will be in attendance together with the Managing Director of UBS AG, Mr J Baerlocher.  The launch is by private invitation only.

The book has been written by four members of the Numismatic Section over a 15 year period and sadly two of these authors, Ian Monins and Douglas Corbel, have passed away.  The half-written book was put aside then revived and brought up-to-date by Geoff Morris and Daniel Gayet, Chairman of the Numismatic Section, who says: “We think the book will be a fitting tribute to them.  Much time and effort has been spent getting this publication of historical significance up-to-date.  We are very pleased to have reached this point and would like to extend our thanks to the Publisher, Seaflower Books, for their assistance, to UBS AG for their sponsorship and to Deryck Egré, the Secretary of our section, for his help.  Without them this book may never have been published.”

Source: Jersey Weekly
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Jersey coins catalogue
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »
Follow the link for an article by Ian Monins:

"Conceiving the Designs for the 1981/1983 Jersey, Channel Islands, Coin Issues"

http://jerseycoins.com/misc/Monnis.htm

N.B. His name is misspelt in the link.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:30 AM »
hmm I knew they were working on this, A funny story,
I sold a Jersey £2 coin last summer and had a brief conversation with the buyer (from Jersey) about some decimal coins that just never turn up (I posted the details for Aditya).  My buyer mentioned that they were working on a new book so I supplied him with a spreadsheet containing all the mintages of the recent decimal coins which had been obtained from states treasury by forum member markfitzie.  I never did hear anything further.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:39:25 AM »
The book is for sale here. The price is right.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »
At present I'm ordering two copies -
Would anyone else like me to order one on their behalf?
A (small) word of caution - It seems impossible to calculate the shipping costs prior to ordering.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »
So, is this a good book to read or is it like a catalog?

Dale

translateltd

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:15:24 AM »
Looked interesting, but at £13 postage to NZ I think I'll pass.  The website says "Please select a Shipping Method!" but I can't see anywhere to change the options.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »
I bought one about a year ago, cost £12.50 posted to Oz. I found it very disappointing.

As it says on the Société Jersiaise page 'Brief history of coinage in the island of Jersey from the first century BC to date' -  it is brief! The only advantage is the list of the modern coinage from where McCammon finished back in 1984. [No values]

Of course my interest is in the tokens but these are just glossed over. Likewise with the occupation notes just some very poor photographs in back and white.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 01:39:50 AM »
That is too bad; it sounded so promising.  I would have liked a good readable history on the coins and tokens too.
Dale

I bought one about a year ago, cost £12.50 posted to Oz. I found it very disappointing.

As it says on the Société Jersiaise page 'Brief history of coinage in the island of Jersey from the first century BC to date' -  it is brief! The only advantage is the list of the modern coinage from where McCammon finished back in 1984. [No values]

Of course my interest is in the tokens but these are just glossed over. Likewise with the occupation notes just some very poor photographs in back and white.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
Got my copy on the cheap (thanks, andyg!) Don't remember any disappointment.

There's a colour map on the inside cover, followed by short, well illustrated articles on coins of the Coriosolites (Celts), Roman coins found in Jersey, mediaeval coins that may have been used in Jersey and modern (mainly French and English) coins that would have circulated in Jersey or were found there. Since only the Celts were (presumably) made in Jersey, only one chapter refers to Jersey coins, but if you are interested in Jersey's financial history, all these chapters provide information not easily found elsewhere.

The chapter on post-Napoleonic coins and tokens usefully (for my purposes) mingles tokens and coins and discusses them again from the point of financial history. Here, I would have welcomed a separation of tokens that refer to Jersey, probably only because the London and Birmingham token makers freely mingled dies, not because the token was in any way meant to circulate in Jersey. The B/W pictures are dark, but on most, I can see all details (the German 1 pfennig 1940-45 is the exception). Here, the book is changing character, from financial history to describing pictures to be found in coin catalogues. Nevertheless, interesting little facts keep appearing in the text. The short chapter on contemporary coins is short on background, long on (B/W) pictures easily found elsewhere. Useful for newbies, the authors allow their frustration with pseudo coins to shine through. Good for them. The chapter ends with a table of dates on circulation coins and a pretty useless catalogue 1968-2009.

The next chapters of the book is titled miscellaneous - actually a few paragraphs on jetons without relevance to Jersey, a short treatise on tokens, leading to the conclusion that mainly French money was used and only one Bristol token could have been used as money on Jersey (one is unfortunately left wondering for what value it was accepted). Malcolm's disappointment is probably that the 19th and 20th century tokens are covered in one para. More research needed, I suppose. The last paragraph deals briefly with Jersey phone cards. The last chapter deals with the German occupation during the second world war, again good financial history and readable B/W pictures of banknotes.

Appendices describe communion tokens, the enigmatic fréluques and the occupation fantasy tokens, ascribed to two Californian men, made in the 1970s.

The book is concluded by a short bibliography.

Clearly, the book covers all aspects of Jersey numismatics, but not all aspects are covered equally deeply. I would e.g. have liked to see more information on the period 1814-1844, when the islands changed from French to British money and on 19th and 20th century tokens in the broadest sense - I wouldn't even mind paper tickets. Earlier periods are done well to very well, later periods become increasingly superficial and design oriented. I am fine with the pics. Coin pics that are too dark occur regularly in coin publications and colour pics would probably make the book much more expensive. I commend the authors for minimising repetition of coin catalogues and for not letting the volume be dominated by recent pseudo coin issues. This is not the final word on Jersey numismatics, but I do think it is of interest for students of Jersey financial history, collectors looking for background on Jersey coins and those interested in detailed aspects of Jersey history.

Peter

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
Well that makes it sound more appealing since I am a novice in the area.
Dale

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:06:38 AM »
Of course I was looking at it from the point of view that I have McCammon’s “Currencies of the Anglo-Norman Isles” published in 1984 and the later update that includes most of the tokens known.

So this new book has nothing new apart from the later modern issues which is, as Peter comments, 'a pretty useless catalogue 1968-2009.'

- I wouldn't even mind paper tickets.

See my page here for a few of these; I am still looking for more information on these.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:25 AM »
While the catalogue is useless from a reader's point of view, it could very well have been useful to keep the modern coin collectors in the Jersey coin club happy without doubling the book's size. I can easily live with any compromise that keeps the price down by minimising place for the junk issues.

Glad to hear the research for the tokens has already started. Too bad it wasn't continued in this book.

Peter

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
So this new book has nothing new apart from the later modern issues which is, as Peter comments, 'a pretty useless catalogue 1968-2009.'

It's not even right - reproducing a few errors in Krause ::)

but since the cost is just £5 I didn't think it all that bad.
Had I paid £50 then I'd have been very disappointed.