Gilded Coins of All World - Vergoldete Kleinmünzen aus aller Welt

Started by Abhay, May 18, 2010, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Very recently, I got this collection of coins from 63 different countries. This collection is in 2 albums, has 3 coins from each of the 63 countries.

When I tried to translate the meaning of "Vergoldete Kleinmünzen aus aller Welt" from German to English, it literally means "Gilded Coins of all World". On a closer look at all the coins, it does seem that the coins are in fact Gold Plated.

Each country has 3 Gold Plated coins in a Plastic Sleeve, within the Flag of that country. There is also information on that country like Official name, Language, Neighbouring Countries, Area, Population, Capital City, Form of Government and the Currency System.

I have attached some images, particularly the details of Sri Lanka coins.

I tried searching the Net for more information on this collection, but could not find any more information. Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

I think these are privately issued sets.Any idea which mint issued them?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Abhay

That's what exactly I am trying to find out. But the person from whom I got these sets has told me that he got these sets from Europe - through some of his friend. (I got them from a Kolkata based coin dealer).

As I said, each country has three coins (seems that the 3 lowest denominations are there). But the coins are Gold Plated. For India, the three coins are 10, 25 and 50 Paisa of Stainless steel. But they look golden in colour.

But it seems that they must have been made/issued/assembled/printed/packed in Germany.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

Or another German speaking country (Austria, Switzerland ...) Seems like the sort of promotional material a mail order business would offer with a certain amount of stuff ordered. Is there no indication of the maker on the back page or elsewhere in the album?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

In February somebody sold a two-album set like yours on eBay (Germany) and got €36 for the two:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280464471902

No idea which company had those made. And frankly, it sounds like an odd concept to me. ;)

Christian

Abhay

Dear Peter,
There is no indication whatsoever on the Albums.

And Christian,

It seems these are the same type of Albums or in fact they could be the very same albums, which some dealer in India (Kolkata) Purchased from Germany and sold them to me in India. I have purchased these two Albums from Ebay India.

Thanks for the replies.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

189 gold plated coins for €36 sounds cheap,especially at current gold rate.You are paying just 20 euro cent for a piece!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

idiotghost

It surely looks the handiwork of some private party, wondering who would do it!
How much you paid for the album Abhay?

Regards
Parth

chrisild

Quote from: Numismatica on May 18, 2010, 06:44:57 PM
189 gold plated coins for €36 sounds cheap,especially at current gold rate.

True, but "gold plated" means exactly that - the original piece (copper, steel, whatever) plus an extremely thin layer of gold. Let's see - a micrometer (μm) is one thousandth of a millimeter, and when it comes to electroplating jewellery, a gold layer is maybe 3 μm thick (1 μm would be considered cheap). With coins and medals, the layer is usually less than 1 μm, maybe even 0.1 μm thick. Sufficient because most people do not wear such pieces like they would wear jewellery. :)

Christian

Abhay

Well, I got the Albums for Rs. 11,000.00, including Postage.

I agree with Christian that the Coins are originally made of the Metals like Copper, Steel, Brass or even aluminium, with a very thin layer of Gold plating.

But this Gold plating gives a New Shining Look to the coins. I just bought this Album, because I thought its something different than the usual world coins. Moreover, I have a collection of 63 Different countries, nicely arranged in two albums. :)

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

Considering that the Kolkata based dealer got this set for €36 and sold it for 11,000 INR (~€196 at current exchange rate),he had a profit of €160! :o :o

And I know that the gold content of coins has to be low,but 189 coins for €36 (in case of German dealer) is cheap anyway.You won't get the normal versions of these coins (Cu-Ni,etc etc) for €0.2 (per piece) anywhere ;) engipress paid about €1 for each coin,which is also not so bad,I think :)

Aditya