Arabia and the Far East

Started by Austrokiwi, May 01, 2010, 11:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austrokiwi

First off this book is not a numismatic reference. For those interested in background information relating to trade between Arabia India and China it is ell worth reading.

I found the reference particular interesting As the Author is Egyptian and   his research for the book did not rely on contemporary writings but on the translation of original Arabic, Malay, and Chinese texts. As a result the book has a distinctly non European perspective.   It is an extremely hard book to find. There is a 1st edition( 1942) for sale for over US$2000.00 on Abe books.   I managed to find a copy of the second edition( 1982) for the cost of a cheap lunch.

details

S.A. Huzayyin  "Arabia and the Far East, Their Commercial and Cultural Relations in Graeco-Roman and Irano-Arabian Times"  Societe de Geographie D'Egypte 1942 1st edition and 1982 Second Edition.  There is no ISBN number on my copy.

For my research purposes the book gave me a more comprehensive perspective of trade between Arabia and China

Figleaf

You can find a 1st edition for a mere €1800 here. The description:

Huzayyin, S. (Suliman) A. (Ahmad).

Arabia and the Far East: Their Commercial and Cultural Relations in Graeco-Roman and Irano-Arabian Times.

Description

Crown quarto. Pp. xxix, 319. Plus 12 folding maps printed with additional colours. Half-title present. Bibliography. Hardcover, bound in handsome three-quarters polished brown calf and matching marbled boards, spine with raised bands, direct gilt lettering between gilt rules, speckled edges, silken ribbon marker. With the original stiff wrappers bound in, bearing the Coat-of-Arms of the Kingdom of Egypt on the upper wrapper, and the emblem of the Société de la géographie d'Egypte on the lower wrapper.

- - First edition thus. Revised and enlarged edition of the Huzayyin's thesis "The Arabian East and the Far East" (Liverpool, 1933).

ISBN were introduced only in 1970.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.