Author Topic: UK national transport tokens  (Read 42412 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: UK national transport tokens
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
From the Zodiac 10p series, the one Zodiac sign I do not have is Gemini. Per info from a long time ago (late 1990s perhaps) in the Token Corresponding Society Bulletin (that mentioned info having been given by someone at National Transport Tokens - as far as I re-call) there are 23 different pieces of the 10p Zodiac series of which I have 19. I had those 19 by about 12 years or so ago - all are nice grade having been quite new when collected. The Birmingham Mint made some of each design with date 1994, the Roger Williams Mint made pieces with 5 of the designs with date 1994 and they also made pieces with those 5 and one other design with date 1995.  So I never tried to memorise the list of the 4 of 23 I still needed - hence still on 19 pieces. I will have to do an image to show the differences between the pieces of the two different mints (no mint marks were used).

But for now an image of another of my pieces..  one of a few proof 20p pieces I have in an unmarked case. I have also seen proofs of the 20p series in copper-nickel advertised for sale (no images).

There are a few 50p pieces I am without.

I wonder - do we have images all of the 1 Pound token dates included in this topic ?

My other interest is in knowing which minter has produced the more recent tokens.

Any plans for a 2 Pound token ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Mark H

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
I have been out of the office for a few days.

There have been some messages and I will get to these this week.

Thanks

Mark

Offline Mark H

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
If I am understanding the thread correctly, Gemini seems to be in short supply. I do have some stocks of Gemini and if you would like to email your addresses I can send one of these on to you as required.

I'm afraid I don't have the history of minting to hand but don't really understand how there can be 23 Signs of the Zodiac 10p. I am happy to be enlightened.

If you wish to email me your address and don't want to post it on this forum please send to msehaberfield@hotmail.com and I will send you the token.

We are reviewing our stocks v a list provided and will post accordingly once completed. In response to one of the questions, there are no current plans for a 2 token, we find the smaller values to be useful for customers and users.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Here are a couple of scans from John Tolson's article 'National Transport Tokens' from the TCS Bulletin Vol.5 No.11 of May 1997.

This goes some way to showing how there can be 23 10p Zodiac .tokens  ;D so we have 12+5+5+1

Paul may care to add to this to enlighten us further.  8)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Mark H

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
I understand now. Minting Dates !

Which ones are you missing.

I have asked the team to now look for minting dates not just designs.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »
Which ones are you missing.

;D That is an easier question - I don't have any of the Zodiac tokens!
Malcolm

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »
So here are illustrations to show the differences between the obverses for the two mints. The easiest difference to see is that in the relative position of the "NA" (in "NATIONAL") with respect to the "1" (in "10") positioning. There are also a few other small differences on the obverse. These differences are the same whichever the reverse design is. From these particular images you should also be able to see slight differences between the Capricorn designs used by the two mints. The lower image is of a piece struck by "RWM". Also - for both sides there are variations per minter in the profile around the inner edge of the rims.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
The above shows  RWM only produced six tokens bearing the date 1995. I wonder if the Birmingham mint made any with the 1995 date?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:43:08 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
This is to show that, thanks to Mark, I now have a full set of zodiac tokens. Yet another piece with a story. Great fun!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:26 PM »
Clarification of the details from the listing in the scan from Malcolm...

Ignore the pattern - until we know otherwise we can assume that no collectors have them.

So with date "1994" - just made by Birmingham Mint - Pieces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo - 7 pieces

Then with date "1994" and made by both Birmingham Mint and RWM - Capricorn, Aquarius, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius - 2*5 = 10 pieces

Then with date "1995" made by just RWM - Capricorn, Aquarius, Taurus, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius - 6 pieces

In all....    7 + 10 + 6 = 23 pieces in total.

I have 19 of the 23 above. I do not have any other pieces for this series. The article was written with some info from NTT (according to another part of the article) - so very likely the listing is complete - unless new pieces have been made in the past few years.

Confirmation of it still being true to say that ALL pieces of the 10p Zodiac series are dated either "1994" or "1995" would be useful.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline orsk2

• http://coins.ucoz.net
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »
On to better things. I enjoyed the above discussion on the time frame of the tokens. In that light, this must be another precursor of the national system. North West (England) is pretty vague, but in my mind it includes Carlisle. So is this a halfway house between a local token and a national token?

The token is 1.5 gram, 24.8 mm. The denomination is somewhat weird in a decimal system (unless you are Russian or Bulgarian.) Was it due to the fare system, pre-decimal, or is it good for three zones (no d or p)?

Peter

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/29th-january-1971/26/10-million-travel-tokens-for-north-west-now-being-
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/22nd-january-1971/16/huge-token-travel-scheme-for-north-west
Visit my website http://coins.ucoz.net

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
Thank you, Orsk. That answers two questions. The 2 and 3 are new pence and the tokens date from after 1971.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline plasticman

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
The 50p one is clearly a UK National Transport Token but the 1Euro one is presumably for non UK use. The obverse of both shows what I assume is the logo of the issuing company
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:40:16 PM by Figleaf »

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
Could it be for use in Eire?  I must seek one of those 1Euro  ::)

...along with the 10p Sagitarius 1994 from the Birmingham mint that I'm still seeking.
Malcolm

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2017, 02:06:37 AM »
Hmm, where have I seen that logo before? Ah yes, here ... in Reply #4 :) Does not explain the euro-style piece though.

Christian