Author Topic: UK national transport tokens  (Read 42418 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Re: UK national transport tokens
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
Does this company still exist? What were the last tokens they issued?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
Not sure which company you mean. If you meant Leyland, the answer is no. I think the bus part went to DAF, who dragged it along in its own fall.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Kushi

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »
No. There was a company called National Transport Tokens that issued many aluminum bus tokens, mostly for concessionary fares. Some of these are listed on page 152 of the 1990 Smith and Smith catalogue.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
When I got interested in these tokens, they were issued by a company called Stagecoach. I contacted them once for more information, but got no reply. See reply 14 of this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
The company is still National Transport Tokens - they are owned by Stagecoach, but do not trade under the Stagecoach name.  Since their tokens are still being issued as well as being valid I therefore surmise that they still exist.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »
from figleaf...
>>they were issued by a company called Stagecoach<<

Would it be more accuracte to consider the various participating local authorities to be the issuers of these tokens as opposed to NTT ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Kushi

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »
No. The home city of the issuing company is usually used. However, I would like to create a new section for "National Tokens", not referring to the company NTT, but for any token whose usage is spread all over the country.

Here is their current website.  http://www.concessionarysolutions.com/national-transport-tokens.aspx
They have apparently, recently moved to Reddish, Stockport, Cheshire.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »
Yes "National Transport Tokens" together would be how to categorise these.... Many different local authorities issue these token to people living in their area - the same types used by many local authorities. Bags of tokens can sometimes be seen on ebay - the bag will be a National Transport Tokens bag often (perhaps always) with additional printing of the name of a local authority. Older types are sometime encountered in rolls (unmarked) as opposed to bags.

I likely have all the "Manchester" pieces starting as 500CA as listed on page 152. (That is the only Smith book I have.)

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
No. There was a company called National Transport Tokens that issued many aluminum bus tokens, mostly for concessionary fares. Some of these are listed on page 152 of the 1990 Smith and Smith catalogue.

I see that in the Smith cat. they are listed under Manchester which is indeed hopeless. As Paul says some reference to issuing authority is warranted. However a new section for "National Tokens" would seem the best solution here.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Mark H

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi

NTT ( National Transport Tokens) is currently based in Reddish, Stockport and moved there in 2010. It is now more of a niche product.

NTT do have stocks of tokens and and have separated out all the ones listed.

I would be interested in hearing any thoughts on Transport Tokens or if anyone is missing any from any collection. I would do my best to oblige.

Thanks

Mark

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »
That is a kind and very generous offer Mark. Thank you very much.

The problem is that we don't know what is out there. Would it be OK to let you know what we DO have instead?

Peter

Offline Mark H

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
Yes Peter. Of Course.

Back in the annals of time there are undoubtedly some tokens of which I am unaware.

I do have stocks of the more common recent ones and some with the holes in the middle which are pretty much vintage.

Let me what you have and I will fill in the blanks against known designs. Clearly something old and rare may be more difficult to come by !

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mark 

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
The only current one I've not located for Peter is the 10p zodiac sign - Gemini.  Everything else current has been illustrated in thread as far as I know - (I'd be surprised if there are any but am waiting to be proved wrong!)  The older ones with the hole I never see in use as they are not current anymore, so not sure what is issued.

(ps given that I work for the opposition should I be communicating with you?  >:D)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
Guess what. The gemini piece is on its way to me. Thanks Mark!

Isn't there something like Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition in public transportation? ;)

Peter

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »
Maybe it's just bad luck, but over the years I never did find that one!