Author Topic: quiz time  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
quiz time
« on: April 17, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
Black African quiz time again!  8)

To which country belongs the coin shown below? Which ruler, which date and which denomination?   ;D

It is shown only in one single catalogue :o - but in a very wrong chapter. :(

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:53:32 PM by Afrasi »

Austrokiwi

Re: quiz time
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
I would say Abyssinian rather than Ethiopian. That may seem to be nit picking but my limited knowledge suggest this coin/medal/Token  is 19th century and pre-dates Menelik's "unification of Abyssinia that allowed for the development of the modern state of Ethiopia.

I initially assumed the obverse is the side with the crown with the coptic cross.   On checking the other side is the Ahmharic  "M"   if that stands for Menelik ( which seems the most likely) then perhaps that is the obverse. {Edit: on thinking further the M may stand for Malhallak in which case this side might better be regarded the reverse.}

Meneliks predecessor, of sorts, Johannes  had looked into producing coins, and Menelik himself is known to have produced coins while Negus of Shoa ( I think there is more than one accepted spelling of that Province).  It seems to me this piece must be from Shoa and was issued by Menelik  as such I would say it is a very important and lucky find for Afrasi .... :'( I wish I had one!!!

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
I suspect it does stand for Menelik - if you look at the chart of the Amharic alphabet here:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/amharic.htm

the M with a little tick pointing downward and to the left is a compound syllable forming the sound "Mø", and the name Menelik appears on this image

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_image.aspx?image=an00172896.jpg&retpage=24970

at bottom left, as the second word, which starts with this syllable.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
It's not from Shoa. :'( That would be too much luck for me. Such a sensational found would bring me into serious troubles: Keeping it in my collection, or selling it and never again have to work?  8)
But this one is not so bad, too. It's from Harar. It belongs - according to W. Hahn - as a Besa to the Silver Mahaleki (KM #1).
I myself am not really shure, because the quality of engraving is very different between this one and the Mahaleki. Perhaps had Austrokiwi the better answer to this piece ... ! I wish he would be right!!! :D

In between the net gallery of Ethiopian coins, tokens and medals has grown a little bit.
http://www.numismatik-cafe.at/gallery/album.php?album_id=894

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:57:34 PM by Afrasi »

Austrokiwi

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
It was a good puzzle to challenge us with.   Even though its from Harar it still is an important piece, shame it isn't described accurately.............I just found it in Gill (Chapter 21 page 188) where it is described as a token.

I am not sure why Gill designates this ( and the one catalogued b4 it) as a token. He obviously didn't link it to Harar ( or to any place other than Ethiopia). He  lists the silver Malhallak  of Harar as a coin.  Perhaps he used the idea that Harar was an independent city state and so its issues were was indeed coins but those of Shoa were not those of the "High King"  so could only be designated Tokens. I should read the text again perhaps the logic is listed there.