Author Topic: Cook Islands: Series of coins 2010  (Read 5985 times)

andyg

Cook Islands: Series of coins 2010
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
These look to be a privately issued set IMO
I doubt you can spend them!

more here

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Cook Islands: Series of coins 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
I doubt you can spend them!

Not sure whether they are private issues, but with that I agree. Thomas writes on his page - see your link - that the pieces are apparently "legal tender" but made for collectors and not intended for circulation. Also, the denominations and specifications are different from the (New Zealand) coins that are actually used there ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
The $1 coin does look good.. 8) I liked the design on 2 and 50 cent coin too..
Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
they cannot be legal tender since they are not according to New Zealand coinage specifications.
since 1995 the NZD is the only legal currency. The earlier coins (and 3$ notes) were not demonetised
and remain legal tender (probably no longer circulating). the dollar coins of 2003 are already somehow doubtful.

BTW, the term "legal tender for collectors" is sophisticated nonsense. of course, collectors can use
them for payments among each other...

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »
It seems to me that sophisticated nonsense is a contradiction in terms. Deep dark brown icky nonsense? Horrid, unadulterated, spooky nonsense? Political spin?

Apparently, the Cook Islands have lost all self-respect for 10% of the take. How sad.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
What's stopping them from issuing a circulation set again?

translateltd

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
they cannot be legal tender since they are not according to New Zealand coinage specifications.
since 1995 the NZD is the only legal currency. The earlier coins (and 3$ notes) were not demonetised
and remain legal tender (probably no longer circulating). the dollar coins of 2003 are already somehow doubtful.

When I was in CI briefly last year, the only "local" coins I saw were the $5 coins - I got a 2003 one in change.  All other coins and notes there appear to be NZ ones.

There have been earlier posts on this elsewhere in WoC, including some correspondence from our late High Commissioner in Rarotonga.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »

Here is the Cook Islands 2010 set. Now, I believe that one never circulated. This one, we are told, will be different.

This set is fantasy set, issued by a European dealer
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:58:52 AM by eurocoin »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »
Very bad. That dealer could get into trouble with the Cook Islands.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
Sure, he would when he visits Cook Islands.

How can he visit Cook Islands Since he does not know where those islands are?

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
I believe many of these coins were minted as on Numista much more people entered the "fantasy" series to their online collection than the coins of the official series. It's a shame but, what can these governments do about it ? It is one of the many problematic countries which are being used by certain companies to mint coins for without permission.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:33:19 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »
Fairly nice designs though.
Dale

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
Nonetheless, New Zealand as the world's tenth largest currency traded in the world always contracts out all of its coinage production.

Currency trading is basically shifting some bytes of data on computers and has little to do with coinage.

Sweden has been outsourcing its coinage for quite some time now and Denmark has just joined its neighbour recently. Neither the local population needs physical currency nor the population size justifies economies of scale of coin production. Few months back, I was surprised to see a person paying 5 Krones for ice cream by a credit card. In Belgium, many small shops would charge extra if you try to pay less than 10 Euro by credit card.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
This set is fantasy set, issued by a European dealer

I have now applied the acid test: I checked Gerhard's Katalog, and the Cook Islands 2010 set is included. Gerhard only includes official issues by recognised states, and also official issues by unrecognised states that hold power over the territory they control (such as Transnistria).

So, the Cook Islands 2010 set did not circulate. This was a "circulation-like" set, with different denominations, but did not circulate. It was an official set but issued only for collectors. I have started a topic about such "circulation-like" issues:

Deceptive Pseudo-Coin Sets.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Gerhard succumbed to same weakness as George Cuhaj.
To me the only test to distinguish between coin and a non - coin ( call it token, fantasy or a product of mint games) is that
A) it should be a legal tender
B) it should be generally accepted in the specified region by public at large and issued by the concerned authorities, at face value.

In this case,if Cook Islands had authorised it then it should have had at least same denominations as existing circulation coins.

1000 Euro coin in gold, issued at face value by France fails this test as do the bimetallic, 1 Turk Lirasi pieces, minted by Turkish mint, released with press release but with various animals. These bimetallic pieces have the same specifications as actual 1 Turk Lirasi coin and are capable of fooling the vending machines but they are not coins since they are not legal tender nor issued at face value by the Turkey National Bank.