login

Author Topic: Stolberg (ST, DE): Mint your own coin ... well, medal  (Read 2745 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Stolberg (ST, DE): Mint your own coin ... well, medal
« on: April 10, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »
Next Sunday, 18 April, is Industrial Heritage Day (Tag der Industriekultur) in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. Among the sites that can be visited and/or operate on this day is the Old Mint (Alte Münze) Museum in Stolberg.

Stolberg is in the Harz region, close to the point where the states of Saxony-Anhalt, Lower Saxony and Thuringia "meet". The place was a mining and minting town for centuries, and the Alte Münze has one the few, or maybe the only, completely preserved 18th century minting workshops in Europe. Once a month (on the first Sunday) the museum has a Mint Your Own Piece program - and on this year's Industrial Heritage Day they make a silver medal with an old balancier.

You can choose between the Mint Medal (which shows the deer from the city's coat of arms) and the 2010 Annual Medal (which features St. Martin's Church in Stolberg). On the other side of either piece is the Old Mint, a building from the 16th century. Each medal (Ag 999) has a weight of 20 g and a diameter of 35 mm. Here are some links (in German), but I have not found any images of the 2010 "coins" ...

Mint Your Own Piece ... or have the "mintmaster" make it for you:
http://www.tourismus-suedharz.de/kultur/museum-alte-münze/

That 18 April is also the last day of the Taler, Groschen, Pfennige exhibition at the Old Mint:
http://www.stolberger-museen.de/muenze.html

More about the Industrial Heritage Day in Saxony-Anhalt and the participating museums/sites is here:
http://www.industrietourismus.de/ (original link is now dead)

Christian
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:05:37 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Stolberg (ST, DE): Mint your own coin ... well, medal
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »
Hmm, I am not so sure whether they actually let visitors operate the balancier. Apparently that is the job of the "mintmaster" and his two assistants. But of course visitors can watch them do it. (Have been there one time, but that was not a demo day.) Anyway, I found an image of the 2010 medal. Source: Naumburger Tageblatt. That side was designed by Anne Karen Hentschel; she has made art medals before (cast, I guess) but this is her first piece that is struck ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 02:09:58 PM »
And this is the other side. Well, I think it is - this piece is from 2005 or so, but the side showing the Alte Münze is always the same. (Image from the DGMK website.) Carsten Theumer, who designed that side, also participates in design contests for German collector coins. The €10 Friedrich Schiller piece (2004) for example is his, so to say.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
Noted Stolberg for a visit if I go that way one day. Thanks Christian.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
By the way, did you know that Juliane zu Stolberg (Juliana van Stolberg), the mother of Willem van Oranje, was from that Stolberg? (See this Oranjeroute article.) Admittedly, when I hear the city name, I think of Stolberg near Aachen first. But I may be regionally biased. :)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:01:44 AM »
This is the latest annual medal from Stolberg (Source: mz-web). Do you notice anything odd?

In the background you see the historic old town. And in front ... a broken coat of arms. Well, that is because the Stolbergers are miffed: A year ago, on 1-Jan-2010, the Gemeinde (municipality) Südharz was founded, consisting of several smaller places in the area. Stolberg - with a population of about 1,400 - did not want to be part of Südharz. A referendum petition had no success though, so since 1-Sep-2010 Stolberg has been part of Südharz.

The broken CoA thus represents the end of Stolberg as a municipality of its own. This side was designed by Bodo Broschat, by the way, who has also won several coin design competitions. The other side is the same as in reply #2 above.

Christian
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:37:43 PM by chrisild »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:24:02 AM »
As a taxpayer, you should be grateful to have less administrative units. As a democrat, you should be happy these people can express themselves and as a collector, I think the design is tasteful. You win on all fronts. Having just lost a skirmish with the phone company :-X, I envy you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:09:27 PM »
Municipal self-administration is basically a good thing indeed. Problem is, the towns have lots of mandatory expenses (partly assigned by state and federal governments), and quite a few places can no longer decide on their own what "extra" expenses they can make. Hard to tell for me though how much money can actually be saved by "merging" municipalities.

No need to envy me; have had my own issues with phone companies. And as for those fingers that hold the medals in the images above, they are not mine. ;)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »
Fixed a broken link above. :) And while we're at it ... the latest annual medal commemorates Thomas Müntzer who was born in Stolberg, most probably in 1489, thus 525 years ago. This photo of the mint's balancier, again from mz-web, was taken during the First Strike ceremony.

Christian
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:40:35 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
The 2014 medal, designed by Carsten Theumer, tries to capture why Thomas Müntzer is usually regarded controversially today. He wanted to improve the legal and economic situation of the peasants, so unlike Martin Luther, Müntzer fought for radical social changes too.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
Nice double-edged symbolism! The dove on the sword is especially good.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
I will be visiting this museum on 3rd December. If you want anything from there, please let me know by PM.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
I reall enjoyed the museum, inside and outside. Here's how I described it on TripAdvisor:

Even in historic Stolberg, the museum outside is strikingly nice. A plaque testifies that the building was constructed in 1535. This prepares the visitor for the inside, because the museum was a local mint, turning the products of the local mines into money.

The permanent exhibition starts with a fantastic collection of old mint tools. They are carefully explained (German only), so casual visitors will be just as amused as advanced coin collectors. In the final room on the ground floor there is an eye-popping collection of German coins from the high middle ages to the present day, illustrating local and German history.

The second floor is devoted to local mining and minting and includes a great collection of large local coins, made for collectors and to show off. These are centuries old miniature works of art, not afraid to show local potentates' ugliness or beauty.

The third floor gives information on local history. This would be difficult to follow if you don't speak German. The last room on this floor contains a spectacular collection of medals and coins on the subject of local hero Thomas Müntzer. Being the leader of a farmers revolt and in favour of redistribution of land and wealth, Müntzer was popular with the East German communists. The museum shows him as a fallible idealist, seeking justice, which is probably much nearer to the truth.

The museum does not have fashionable electronic gadgetry, but that just means there are no broken exhibits. It is a remarkable place, especially for such a small town. It deserves a visit for its high cultural value.

Below: the "obverse" and "reverse" of a top piece of the collection on the cover of a nice brochure I picked up at the museum. The coin is a triple-weight mining thaler of Stolberg-Stolberg 1722. The third picture is also from the brochure: a view of te village centre with the old mint prominently in the middle.

BTW, the connection between Juliana of Stolberg and Stolberg castle is lost. The building was reconstructed too often and too radically.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 11:48:46 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the visit! Here is Juliana by the way, a sculpture on the walkway that connects the the old town in the valley and the castle. That photo I took in late 2012. The city (strictly speaking it is not a city any more; Stolberg is now part of the city of Südharz) has some info in German about her here.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »
A few days ago, by the way, the museum presented its new annual medal. It features "Superman" Luther; apparently the designer Carsten Theumer wanted an attention-grabbing look, or just one that was different from all the Martin Luther portraits that you see this year. See the attached media photo. Here you can see the "mintmaster" making the medal with the balancier.

Christian