Author Topic: Kishangarh, Craig 5, takka, 19th century  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Kishangarh, Craig 5, takka, 19th century
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:03:21 AM »
For $.25, I figured I couldn't go wrong.  One side was covered in adhesive. The other was partially covered in crud.  But the mint mark caught my eye and eventually, I found what I thought was a match! I dropped the coin in Acetone for 20 minutes.  The glue dropped off and the Jhar was revealed. So indeed, the coin was a Km 29, year 15 (I think), which places it in 1774.  The Feudal State of Jaipur.  The very site, when I was a young man, in which I feebly hit an ice cream vendor in the stomach two hundred and one years after the coin was minted.
For the money, wasn't that great fun?
Richie
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:41:54 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Hammered Coin of Jaipur
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:05:00 AM »
I got an error message in Chinese.  I remember the Ice cream vendor to be Rajistani, but who knows what Karma we create.
richie

BC Numismatics

Jaipuri hammered coin.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 02:36:16 PM »
Richie,was this Jaipuri hammered coin issued prior to coming under British suzerainty or was it issued after coming under British suzerainty as a princely state?

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
You made a piece of metal into a piece of history. Wonderful. Such action is to be expected from someone who sits up at night with a sick dog and a parrot. I am not sure about that 15, but that doesn't matter much. First class id too. What a joy.

@BCN: according to Wikipedia (as well as KM), Jaipur became a British vassal state by treaty of 1818. This coin pre-dates the treaty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »
Bad news.  There goes Aidan's interest in the coin. 

That was one chaotic century for India, wasn't it?  The decline of the Moghuls, the rise and fall of the Maratha Confederacy and, of course, the inevitable rise of the British.  I've not read a good history of that era.  I've made the assumption that it was the British that made it possible for little players like Lunavada and even Jaipur to maintain their identity for as long as they did. 

richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:15:48 AM »
I am reading the Baroque cycle by Neal Stevenson, which is partly set in India (one of the book's heroes becomes temporary feudal lord in India). The story is extremely rich and well informed. A wonderful way to get a glimpse of the world in the early 18th century. Beware. Each book is around 700 pages.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:26:15 AM »
Isn't Neal Stevenson's Snow Crash the book that starts out about a Pizza delivery?  I wrote down the title and I'll give it a try.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »
I'm too cheap to buy books when they've just come out. Ask me in a year's time.

Peter

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Hammered Coin of Kishangarh, not Jaipur
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »
Sorry to say, but the attribution to Jaipur is wrong. The coin very much looks like a Jaipur Takka, but was actual struck at Kishangarh. It is listed in the 19th cent. 5th ed. KM catalogue as C#5.
The coins of Jaipur were very popular in Rajasthan and some Princely States imitated the Jaipur currency. Kishangarh copied the Jaipur copper coinage. Another Princely State, Karauli, imitated the silver currency of Jaipur and recently I came across a reference in the Jodhpur State Gazetteer, that Kuchaman, a feudatory of Marwar (Jodhpur), imitated Jaipur gold coins.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:55:43 PM by Rangnath »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Hammered Coin of Kishangarh, not Jaipur
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:23 PM »
Oesho,
This is in fact wonderful news, for the following reasons:
1.  I prefer to live in the truth and you have shed light on the error of my ways.
2.  I have a wonderful silver 1/4 rupee and a paisa from Jaipur, but nothing from the Kopy Kats of Kishangarh!  So, I am delighted. Really. Honest.

Thank you so much,
richie

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Kishangarh, Craig 5, takka, 19th century
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:42:50 AM »
Found one in my mystery coin box today  :)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »
Overlord,
The coin that you have has a surprising lot of information on it. I have both the jaipur as well as the Kishangarh coins and the information is mostly off flan. Is your coin of a bigger size or is it a bigger denomination that the coin exhibited by Richie?
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »
asm, the mass of this one is 18.5 gram.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
Richie,
The date is visible partly on the right immage to the left of the Jhar. The V is either 7 or mostly 17 or ... The O that you see on the left immage is not a part of the date.
Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:44:28 AM »
asm, the mass of this one is 18.5 gram.
Overlord, the size please?
Amit