Author Topic: 2009 50p 'Blue Peter' mule?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
2009 50p 'Blue Peter' mule?
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
I have just removed this coin from its Royal Mint packaging in order to scan it for SCWC.

Problem!   I have always considered it to be struck to 'circulation' grade and I still consider this to be so for the reverse.   However, the obverse appears to me to be 'brilliant uncirculated'.

Can anyone advise me further, please?

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 2009 50p 'Blue Peter' mule?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »
Split grades, where one side is e.g. EF and the other one F are of course quite possible, for instance when a coin was worn on clothing. Striking a coin with two different technologies, e.g one side is proof, the other side is a circulation strike, is not, especially when the technique involves extra power for the strike. So it is with BU. The crucial difference between a circulation strike and a BU strike is that the BU strike is caught coming out of the press and does not come into contact with other coins, while a circulation strike land between other freshly struck coins and acquires more"bag marks" on its way from the mint to the distribution point. You cannot have a coin that is BU on one side only.

Nice unc coins do not have many bag marks, so they may look like BU. I have even seen circulation strike coins with proof frosting. That is an effect from brand new dies on modern, hard metals. It doesn't make the coins proof strikes, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
I have even seen circulation strike coins with proof frosting. That is an effect from brand new dies on modern, hard metals. It doesn't make the coins proof strikes, though.

Peter

This is especially true for new Swiss circulation coins.

Bart

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:13:38 PM »
I have just sent this message to the Royal Mint:-

Would you advise me, please, the official grade of strike of the 2009 'Blue Peter' 50pence.   The one that I have appears to be 'brilliant uncirculated' on the obverse but only 'uncirculated' on the reverse which is not to such a high finish.

Many thanks.

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Thinking about this, I think that the answer might be that it was issued as 'uncirculated', having no special finish but individual handling and packing.

We'll see.

Bill.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
The official answer arrived this morning:-

Thank you for your email.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response, I can now confirm that the LUK50BP coin is of "UNCIRCULATED" finish.

Regards
Allyson Bowden
Customer Services

Bill.