login

Author Topic: Wonders of modern postal service  (Read 7325 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Wonders of modern postal service
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
This Is how Australia wants our four digit code displayed on handwritten addresses. All envelopes come pre-loaded in this way.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Wonders of modern postal service
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
I don't think standardization of postal codes is possible. A small country like Estonia may not need a six digit long postal code while a big, diversified country like India may not find a four digit code sufficient...

I agree that the recent discussion hasn't really been in line with what original topic was, but it's still interesting (and educative too) :) Moderator may split it appropriately. ;)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
In this global environment, postal codes should be standardized and should fall into the domain of the ISO (International Standards Organization).  Surprised it hasn't been done yet. 
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
I think the body responsible for standardisation is UPU ( Universal Postal Union), a body of UNO, with head quarters in Switzerland.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »
In this global environment, postal codes should be standardized and should fall into the domain of the ISO (International Standards Organization).  Surprised it hasn't been done yet.

The problem (and quite possibly the reason you're looking for) is that, unlike say ISBNs for books or internet TLDs, post codes are used by ordinary members of the public of varying degrees of literacy and intelligence and with an overwhelming ignorance of the mechanics of how their own country's postal system works, never mind other countries'. It just isn't possible to get everyone to behave in the same way, even within a country.

Also, before costly and possibly politically unsavoury changes were forced on somewhere, I would expect to see statistically rigorous analysis of the reasons for wrongly delivered or lost mail. Postcodes, or other misunderstandings by postal workers of clearly written addresses, are not the only imaginable cause of significant unreliability. Criminal intent, laziness, illiteracy, overwork can all affect postal workers independently of how the postcode system works. Senders can write illegibly or wrongly, whether a postcode or some other crucial part of the address, and water can render any writing unreadable. Among all these possible causes for postal failure, what percentage of total loss/problems is due to confusion over postcodes? Until we know the answer to that, there's no real justification for further bureaucracy.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:31 AM »
The problem (and quite possibly the reason you're looking for) is that, unlike say ISBNs for books or internet TLDs, post codes are used by ordinary members of the public of varying degrees of literacy and intelligence and with an overwhelming ignorance of the mechanics of how their own country's postal system works, never mind other countries'. It just isn't possible to get everyone to behave in the same way, even within a country.

Not really true.
A well designed system should not expect users to know intricacies of internal systems.
Designing such system is not difficult.
In late 70s, the International Trunk Subscriber Dialling was standardised by ITU! Telecom version of UPU.
Each country was assigned a code, after seeing how many telephones were expected to work in future in that country.
Total code ( after international dialling prefix ) was fixed as 10 digits.
Countries with large number of phones were given shorter code and with less number of telephones,  given longer codes.
Thus USA got 1, UK got 44, India 91, Armenia 374 etc.
Countries were expected to design their own codes within balance digits.
USA went for for Local Access Area codes of three digits followed with balance six digits.
Most of the other countries followed a city or county wise pattern with big cities getting smaller codes and smaller cities getting longer codes.

The arrangement got modified with coming of mobile phones where most countries changed their internal system of coding. The international system remained same except that total size of code+ number was increased to 12 digits.

The system has worked fine. Any person, literate or not, only has to know the number and can make a telephone call.

In international post also, the tracking system was so designed. A tracking number is given but the data is not fed properly. For example, Spain postal or gain station does not feed the weight of the packet but Russian postal authority does. The Indian postal authority does not feed the next point of handing over so packet becomes untraceable. It is the sheer laziness and incompetence that the system was not designed to ensure discipline amongst workers.
In telephone networks, the signalling system was forced to be changed to a newer system of multi frequency signalling rather than pulse signalling. All countries, irrespective of whatever antiquated system they had in switching their own network, were forced to go for new equipment at their international interface. Thus countries like Albania, Cuba changed their system so as to generate and accept international traffic.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »
The Indian postal authority does not feed the next point of handing over so packet becomes untraceable.

This is 50% correct. ;) Letters sent abroad from India can be traced online. It's true that the tracking website doesn't show the next destination like Deutsche Post, but the letter can be traced at every major stop it has (booking of letter, arrival of the letter at an Indian airport, arrival of the letter in the destination country etc). The link for online tracking is here. The same link can be used to track letters sent to India. IMO this is one of the best tracking system I have seen so far (having used number of other similar systems provided by other postal services in the world). Simple design, easy to use, no advertisements, nothing. Just put the tracking code and it loads the result in seconds. Interesting to note that it even shows status of the letter as soon as the letter is booked in the foreign country! 8) I recently had a pleasant surprise when a letter sent from Lithuania was traceable at every junction, right from it's booking in Vilnius to it's release from Indian customs.

Aditya

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 06:17:59 AM »
This is 50% correct. ;) Letters sent abroad from India can be traced online.

0 % correct. Kindly track this letter RL304034127IN.
Where did it go?

I can send many such details.

You want more funny tracking pictures then send me pm

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:51 AM »
I don't know what's the destination country of your letter but at-least it shows tracking history upto its journey to airport...

We can always show errors in the system (I have had such experiences too) but it's always better to have something than nothing. this facility wasn't available few years back, now at-least we have some system!

Aditya

Online capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
This is 50% correct. ;) but the letter can be traced at every major stop it has (booking of letter, arrival of the letter at an Indian airport, arrival of the letter in the destination country etc). The link for online tracking is here. The same link can be used to track letters sent to India. IMO this is one of the best tracking systems
Aditya

The above IPS tracking is giving me less info than Indiapost website for my missing packet

ITEM n° RG182030565IN    new search
Local Date and Time    Country    Location    Event Type    Mail Category    Next Office    Extra Information   
3/9/2015 1:49:23 PM    INDIA    MUMBAI AIR    Receive item at office of exchange (Otb)    Air    unknown       
3/9/2015 2:56:16 PM    INDIA    MUMBAI AIR    Insert item into bag (Otb)    Air    unknown    

Here is the Indiapost tracking for same item now seemingly lost enroute to England

RG182030565IN

Booked at   Booked on   Destination   Tariff   Article Type   Delivered at   Delivered on
JODHPUR CHAR RASTA    07/03/2015   Not Available   75.00   fgn-AIR-RL       

Detailed Track Events for :  RG182030565IN

Date   Time   Office   Event
08/03/2015   02:34:42   AHMEDABAD RMS (CRC)   Bag Despatched to MUMBAI (CRC)
07/03/2015   20:51:32   AHMEDABAD RMS (CRC)   Article Bagged to MUMBAI (CRC)
07/03/2015   19:48:02   AHMEDABAD RMS (CRC)   Bag is Opened
07/03/2015   19:41:35   AHMEDABAD RMS (CRC)   Bag is Received
07/03/2015   15:15:01   JODHPUR CHAR RASTA    Bag Despatched to AHMEDABAD RMS (CRC)
07/03/2015   15:14:24   JODHPUR CHAR RASTA    Article Bagged to AHMEDABAD RMS (CRC)
07/03/2015   10:38:00   JODHPUR CHAR RASTA    Article Booked   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 selecting the link provided on the Ebay purchase invoice I get this 'Origin Post is Preparing Shipment' which is apparently a black hole where post can disappear for months according to complaints on the net  >:D
RG182030565IN-

Courier:
India Post

Accepted ; In transit: Delivered

Processed Through Sort Facility

Mar-12-15, 18:56 PM, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Vic

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
That's really strange...I notice that the India Post tracking link you are providing can't be used for letters sent to India, it can be used only for letters which are booked in India.. ::)

The tracking service eBay provides is not reliable IMO...Provides wrong information most of the times. I don't see any reason for your letter to reach NY. May be some mistake.

Ideally, you should be able to track your letter on Royal Mail's website once it lands in UK. But it doesn't happen. It works well with French Post, USPS etc.

Aditya

Online capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 11:41:42 AM »

I don't see any reason for your letter to reach NY. May be some mistake.

Aditya

I have a suspicion that the sender made a mistake & possibly put US instead of UK, particularly so i as I have to pay in  $ USD
Vic

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »

I have a suspicion that the sender made a mistake & possibly put US instead of UK, particularly so i as I have to pay in  $ USD

Don't tell me that you have to write 'United States of America' on the letter instead of USA! :o

For UK, I always write 'United Kingdom' (but not Great Britain :P) but not so for America. Only USA!

Aditya

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »
it's always better to have something than nothing. this facility wasn't available few years back, now at-least we have some system!

You may be happy / satisfied with the system since it did not exist few years back.
Here is current system in Russia and shows full details including weight of the letter

Online capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
Well, surprise surprise my packet arrived today, :D forwarded from the USA to UK because the sender put USA & other peculiarities on the envelope.
Someone in US mail wrote a large UK on the label  ;D
Vic