login

Author Topic: Wonders of modern postal service  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Rasmus

• Rasmus Coin Pages
Wonders of modern postal service
« on: April 06, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
I got today (6.4.2010) a letter with some coins.  :D

Only wonder is that it was posted on Santiago, Republica Dominicana at July 14th 2006.
According my Excel it took only 1392 days to arrive.
It bears labels from South African and Russian Post. Also "Exam By" rest is unreadable.

Estonian Post label is arrived at 05.04.2010.

Any similar experience?

BTW nothing was lost, all coins were there

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
Re: Wonders of modern postal service
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
Wow, almost 4 years shipping time! The most I've ever waited for any overseas package was about 2 months.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »
Me too, maybe up to 90 days for something from Italy to Texas.  I think that package was sent by runner though.

Dale

Offline tsm

• NumisMaster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »
The fact that it arrived, even after that amount of time, is amazing!
Longest I can remember was about three months for surface delivery of a book from Malaysia to Wisconsin, which did not seem too bad at the time...

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:33:21 AM »
BTW nothing was lost, all coins were there

Now that is the most amazing part of the story in my opinion. :) Great for you! And no, I have never experienced anything like that. One time I got a letter from the US two months or so after it was mailed. The envelope had a big "Mal encaminado" stamp from El Salvador ...

Of course some items arrive late because they spend quite a bit of time with German customs before I get them. But we're talking weeks here, not months or even years. Another postal mystery is why sometimes even a letter without a house number (mailed to "Blablastr." only instead of "Blablastr. 77") arrives here just fine, while on other occasions letters sent to "Blablastr. 75" are returned with an "Undeliverable" stamp. OK, not really a mystery but I still find it surprising. :)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »
My father collected stamps, but he had a weakness for this sort of stories. He had a small collection of delayed mail, some because of war, others because the aircraft they were in crashed and two Italian enveloppes that just reflected supreme chaos and inability to deliver mail (which may be a prerequisite to having great coffee). None contained anything but a letter. They were delayed at least a year, the record was 18 years (1942-1960) for an enveloppe that had been sent from the Netherlands Indies, opened by Japanese censors, transferred to the Red Cross, opened by Russian censors and British censors and finally delivered in the Netherlands by the time the Netherlands Indies had long become Indonesia...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »
Here in Austria the longest I have experienced is four months Canada to Vienna. Actually with tracking it was clear the package only too 5 days to get to Vienna. The rest of the time was waisted by Customs. Of course they hadn't realised that the package was tracked and when I complained about the delay they immediately tried to blame the postal service. 

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:37:46 PM »
4 Years is just amazing! :o I wonder how did it go to South Africa,though. :D

None of my letters have taken such a long time.Letter sent by Rasmus took about a month,other letters have taken two weeks on an average.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
My record is 3 months from South Africa to Germany. Not so bad! Did anyone of you ever try to cross the Sahara by foot?  ;D

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
Latest wonder; this time by Deutsche Post! :D

A friend of mine had sent me a letter on November 20, 2014 by Registered Post. About month later, the letter landed up in Jakarta, Indonesia. :o It was then forwarded to New Delhi which took only three days. The story didn't end there, the letter was with Mumbai Customs for 3 weeks or so; finally received it yesterday!

I guess the Deutsche Post person at the sorting facility mistook IND mentioned in my address as Indonesia, hence the goof up. German sellers usually mention Indien or India in the address, not sure why abbreviation was mentioned this time...

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »
German shippers love to precede the zip code by a country identification. Instead of 91300, they will write FR-91300 with the name of the town and country following. This is 100% superfluous but mostly only slightly confusing. However, since postal sorters would have had a better job if they had paid more attention in school, it may not work as intended and achieve the opposite of what they want.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Ah, but it does not take misinterpreted country codes to slow shipping down. A while ago I ordered a portable power outlet from a company in the US. According to the packing slip, they shipped it on 13 Nov 2014 (package, sent via DHL Global Mail). It arrived here on 7 Jan 2015. ::)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
Indeed not. When I complained about a package that arrived with much delay, the lady of the Post Office pointed out to me that according to French regulations, the town name may not be underlined and the underlining on my package (from outside France) was to blame for the delay. :D

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
German shippers love to precede the zip code by a country identification.

In Germany that was a perfectly OK way of adding the destination country until 1999, see here. (For European countries, and provided the post codes had basically the same structure as here, i.e. digits only, code preceding the city name.)

Problem was that many would use the "license plate code" (which was actually what the postal service recommended!), not an ISO code. So you would see "F" for France, or "A" for Austria. Of course, if you add the country name in the last line, using the code makes no sense. But old habits die hard. ;)

Side note: Andorra is one of the few places in the world where the country code (AD) is part of the post code. Those are the leading characters, followed by three digits ...

Christian

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
It is absolutely helpful to make both, putting the country's name IN GERMAN below the address AND adding the license plate number in front of the zip code ! ! !

I do not live in Paris, Hamburg or London, but in a very small village in the nowhere of Northern Germany. At first my local post office has to recognize TWO things: a) the letter being INTERNATIONAL mail b) to which country should it be sent

This is not so easy as all you metropolitan people think!  ;)