Author Topic: Fun quiz  (Read 852 times)

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
Re: Fun quiz
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
Here is my guess:

'Portraits': Poul Rasmussen and John Major
Subject: European Union?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »
Now what would Paul and Bente Withers think about that? 8)

Christian
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:16:37 PM by chrisild »

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
I will apologize to Mrs. Withers for calling her John Major. That said, the coin wasn't a remarkable likeness, so I'm sure I can be forgiven. :-[

translateltd

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »
Now what would Paul and Bente Withers think about that? 8)

Christian

Well done - I couldn't remember whether I'd mentioned this item before or not, so at least now I have posted the scan that I promised ages ago!  Yes, Paul & Bente's 25th wedding anniversary.  He apparently did a private striking for his tenth anniversary in 1981, which I read about many years later in COIN Monthly, though he didn't have any of those left when I approached him about them.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Your "Anglo-Danish" hint was the ultimate clue. ;D Once I knew that Paul/PAVL was right, there was that "Benie" left, with one incorrect character. Thought it should be some English name but could not come up with any. But Danish, ha! Bente (or Benthe) is somewhat common in Nordic countries, and yes, the I on the piece might as well be a T.

Enter Google. One of the first results when searching for Paul Bente was Withers, Paul & Bente "British Copper Tokens 1811-1820" by ... A brief forum search (no, I did not "get" the connection to your earlier post myself), and the rest is history, hehe. The piece sure is interesting. Thanks for showing it here! Well done, and very appropriate as a silver wedding memory for these two.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »
BTW, the book you mention is an excellent update to the Davis catalogue as well as the first update in 200 years!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.