Author Topic: Schuman 2010  (Read 2053 times)

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
Schuman 2010
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
60th schuman declaration, why not a common serie ???

or here

http://www.webalice.it/annovi.frizio/p_eurofantasy25.html

--
:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuman_declaration
schuman declaration 1950
Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Schuman 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »
While I can see the case for France issuing such a coin, there's no way the EU will do it as a common issue. The problem is, of course, that Schuman is French. Many others contributed towards the coal and steel community Monet, Reuter and Adenauer come to mind. It can even be argued that Monnet's contribution is greater than Schuman's, but in truth, it was probably a work of many. At a minimum, Adenauer should figure in the design, but then the four other members of the coal and steel community would want their reps in too. Let the design be French to be credible.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
Don't think that Schuman's being French is a "problem". He was born in Luxembourg, and Luxembourgish was his native language. His parents were German since Alsace and most of Lorraine were German at that time. Sure he later became French, but if we ask ourselves why we celebrate 9 May as "Europe Day", the answer is because 9 May 1950 was the day of the Schuman Declaration. But I agree, since in today's Europe such ideas are not really popular any more, such a common coin will not be planned or issued. Besides, from a collector's point of view, we do not really need to have a plethora of €2 commems every year or every two years. :)

I had thought that Luxembourg could perhaps issue a collector coin on this occasion, since the country was a founding member of the ECSC and the EEC and issues coins with "European themes" fairly often. But LU will already have a €10 piece dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the Schengen Agreement, so no Schuman either,

Your (hypothetical ;) ) design I find OK, Frizio. But I think the design, or rather the inscription, should make the occasion more obvious. So it could maybe say "Schumanplan" and "Déclaration Schuman" ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »
It's not the nationality per se that is a problem, but that the declaration would be seen as a one-nation affair, I think. Germany might also be able to claim him, but the fact remains that he was a French minister. France already issued a circulation coin for him (though it's pretty hard to find).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
Europe Day is not a one-country affair. Sure, with the rise of national egoism, the concept may have become unpopular again, but I don't this is an issue of one country claiming anybody. Oh well, such a €2 coin will not be issued anyway.

Christian

andyg

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »
I'd never heard of Europe day ??? :o

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:35:01 PM »
See here http://europa.eu/abc/symbols/9-may/index_en.htm and click on "The Schuman Declaration of 9 May 1950" to read the text of what Schuman said. Had we had euro coins in 2000, the 50th anniversary could have been a good occasion to commemorate the anniversary. But this year? Well, apart from the changed political views, "60" is not quite as round. And I do believe we should not have those common commems all that often. Such issues ought to be reserved for few specific occasions ...

Christian