Kutch Kori, ino Muhammad Akbar II, 1893 SE, Ref. B-73 and C 56.

Started by mtmcdonough, March 04, 2010, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtmcdonough

Quote from: mtmcdonough on March 04, 2010, 03:42:16 PM
Hello.  Can anyone help identify this coin.  I believe it is silver and from one of the Princely States.  Thanks!

I'll try once more!

Abhay

I think this is silver KORI in the name of Shri Desalji from Indian Princely State Kutch. The period is between 1752 - 1761 AD.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

mtmcdonough

Wow!  That's terrific.  Thanks very much!

Bimat

Welcome to the group,mtmcdonough!

I edited your second post,and now it is working properly.To put embedded images,use the img function as:

[img ]Link for the image[/img ]
(I added extra spaces)
More help here. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

mtmcdonough

Thank you!  Very kind of you.

mark

Rangnath

I think that the date is 1893 SE or 1252 AH or  1836 AD.  But which denomination?  Please give us the approximate weight and size Mark, that would help a lot.
It sure looks like a copper coin in your image. Is it?
richie

Abhay

The date as per catalogue for the silver Kori is 978 (Frozen).

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

mtmcdonough

The coin has a silver color in natural light....my camera tends to give items a golden or yellowish tone.  Sorry.

The coin weights .2 ounces or 5.67 grams.  It is 13 mm in diameter.  Thanks for all your excellent help!

mark

Rangnath

I hope that you are wrong about the weight Mark.  Dokdos can weigh 5 1/2 grams, but silver Koris?  They should be a gram lighter. 
Kutch.. wow, what can one say.  They have an incredibly long numismatic history, they used several different calendars and languages and a wonderful assortment of denominations:  Trambiyos, Dokdos, Dhinglos, Adhiaos and Koris in halves, wholes, 1 1/2 and 3s! 

The Kutch Kori was very consistant in weight.  Richard Bright in "The Coinage of Kutch" reported a weight range for the Kori of 4.4 grams to 4.5 during the reign of Desalji II, 1818 to 1860. Your coin appears to be a Kori of the "second coinage": The obverse is in Urdu, the reverse is in Nagari.   The date, at the bottom of the reverse, is in Kutchi and it says 1893.  The calendar used for this was SE or Samvat Era. 

On the second line of the obverse, reading from right to left, is an "S" like character. Actually composed of two Urdu letters, it represents Muhammad of Muhammad Akbar II, the Moghul emperor in whose name the coin was minted. 

The catalog numbers for this coin are:
B- 73 (the B is for Bright)
and, in the Standard Catalog of World Coins,
C#56
richie

mtmcdonough

Thanks so much!  As to the weight, I had the coin weighed at my local post office.  They said it was .2 ounces which I calculated was 5.67 grams. 

Maybe their scale rounds up to the nears tenth of an ounce.  So the weight could certainly be a gram lighter - easily so.  So far, 6 people- on various coin forums -  have indentified the coin as a silver Kori. 

Thanks so much for the date of 1893.  That's a big help!

Salvete

Sorry to trouble you, Rangnath, but can you please mail me a scan of the numerals table you used in your post?  There are some numerals there that are not in my own tables.  Many thanks for your kindness and help.
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Mark, because I'm not good at coin attributions, I generally need all the help that I can get.  Knowing the weight of the coin does actually help.  If this coin really did weigh 5.5 grams, then I could conclude that the coin was NOT a Kori of Kutch. 

Come to think of it, I was never very good a mushroom identities either and I needed all the help I could get.  Brown spores on the gills?  Eliminate Amanita! Can't tell? Taste it.  Still can't tell?  Swallow it and wait 30 minutes.  Still alive?  Eliminate Amanita. See? Its just like with coins.

I sent you a fuller copy of the chart Salvete. 

richie

Salvete

Yes, Richie, I got it, and returned my thanks by offline mail.  It will be of great assistance for the varieties in it that I did not have before.  Thanks again.
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

inscriptor

Hi there, I'm the author of the Creounity Time Machine (http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/en/), the ultimate online date converter for coin collectors. Some of you might have already known me and my webapp.

Today I'm introducing 2 NEW converters, they refer to Kutch and Assam (both have been Indian Princely States in their time).

Kutch: http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/en/index.php?go=kutch_ips.php
Assam: http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/en/index.php?go=assam_ips.php

You're welcome to try them out!

http://creounity.com/tmconv — Creounity Time Machine, date converter for coin collectors

inscriptor

As far as I'm concerned, Kutch had been using VS (Bikram Samvat) dating, not the Saka era (unlike Assam, let's say). Therefore I believe that the gold coin in this topic refers to 1893 VS, i.e. 1836 AD.

Rangnath have already told that, I'm just pointing your attention at this moment once again.
http://creounity.com/tmconv — Creounity Time Machine, date converter for coin collectors