News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

Complete Group of 8 WW I and WW II medals

Started by Abhay, February 28, 2010, 01:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Here is a lovely group of 8 medals, awarded for World War I and World War II. All these medals were awarded to D.C. Boyce of South African Army. The medals in the group are:

1. 1914-15 Star (WW I)
2. British War Medal 1914-20 (WW I)
3. Victory Medal (WW I)
4. 1939-1945 Star (WW II)
5. Africa Star (WW II)
6. Italy Star (WW II)
7. War Medal 1939-45 (WW II)
8. Africa Service Medal (WW II)

The group consists of Full Size Medals (Court Mounted), Miniature Medals (Court Mounted) and the Ribbon Bar.

The Full Size Medals are meant for wearing with the regular full Military Uniform for Parade, Award Ceremonies or Formal Functions. The Miniature Medals are generally designed for formal evening wear. The Ribbon bar is meant for wearing on a daily basis.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

andyg

Here are my Grandads....

1) 1939-1945 Star*
2) Burma Star
3) Defence Medal*
4) 1939-1945 Medal*
5) SE Asia Medal

those marked with a * everyone got, the other two were dependent on where you were stationed.
He also received an oakleaf for being mentioned in dispatches (something to do with tank to tank radio), and as he used to tell me - you didn't have to be mentioned in dispatches for doing something good!

Abhay

Quote from: AJG on February 28, 2010, 02:22:42 PM
Here are my Grandads....

1) 1939-1945 Star*
2) Burma Star
3) Defence Medal*
4) 1939-1945 Medal*
5) SE Asia Medal

those marked with a * everyone got, the other two were dependent on where you were stationed.
He also received an oakleaf for being mentioned in dispatches (something to do with tank to tank radio), and as he used to tell me - you didn't have to be mentioned in dispatches for doing something good!

The 5th Medal is correctly called "General Service Medal 1918-62" and it was awarded for Minor Campaigns in between 1918-1962. There are in all 13 clasps which were awarded for this medal - S.E. Asia 1945-46 in this particular case.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

RHM22

Very nice, the both of you! Medals left from an ancestor are very nice to have.

Coinsforever

These medals are very attractive and gives impression that some one is viewing them inside museum .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/