News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

African Quiz

Started by Afrasi, February 25, 2010, 11:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Quote from: RHM22 on February 27, 2010, 01:17:27 PM
I don't know much about metallurgy, but I've tried melting a few different things, and I know that pewter is almost completely zinc with either lead, bronze or antimony thrown in (as a stabilizer, I suppose). Maybe that's why pewter is the same. The chemical symbol for zinc is Zn by the way.

Pewter is mainly tin not zinc!!
Spelter is a synonym of zinc.

Afrasi

There exists no word "spelter" in German. My sources are the actual Duden, Merck's Warenlexikon (a lexicon of trading goods of the 30s) and my weak brain ...  8)

I know the chemical symbol of Zinc, but - as you did write in your second post - pewter is hardened tin by the way.  ;)

Prosit

In general pewter is mostly tin with small varying amounts of copper, antimony, bismuth or silver.  It can even have lead but lead is a no-no for finer pewter and most consumer products.

I have a small home-made furnace and can melt aluminum easily and copper and brass with a little more effort.  Pewter is fairly easy to do.  Working with brass can be deadly if precautions are not taken as it contains zinc.  Zinc is a nasty medal to work with.

Dale

RHM22

Quote from: AJG on February 27, 2010, 01:24:00 PM
Pewter is mainly tin not zinc!!

:P Apparently the morning does not suit me well! Either that or my mind is going.

RHM22

Anyway, what I meant to say was that pewter is mostly tin, so maybe that's why the chemical symbol is the same.

Austrokiwi

Quote from: AJG on February 27, 2010, 01:24:00 PM

I think that is the less common definition, I understood that spelter was an alloy of zinc used in soldering and brazing. I suppose its meaning depends on what you are most experienced with.

Afrasi

New information: The coin has been struck at the Ilha de Mocambique - like Andy stated before.

malj1

I captured this image of some Cornish tin ingots from the TV program 'Antiques Roadshow' just recently. Cornwall was a big producer of tin in bygone days.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.