Asian Russian enclave countries

Started by Rangnath, July 28, 2007, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Isn't there a coin producing "state" completely enclosed within Asiatic Russia? 
I suppose that these are NCLT. 
richie

BC Numismatics

Quote from: Rangnath on July 28, 2007, 07:03:46 PM
richie

Richie,I can guess that you are referring to the tokens from Tatarstan.These circulated for a short period along with Russian Roubles.You will find them listed in Krause.

Nagorno-Karabakh also has their own banknotes,but they are not yet listed in the Pick catalogue.

Aidan.

bart

Quote from: Rangnath on July 28, 2007, 07:03:46 PM
richie

You can also think of the Tannu-Tuva autonomous region. The country, which lies on the border of Mongolia, was independent from 1921 until 1944 and issued a (difficult to get) series of coins in 1933 and 1934.

These were circulating coins.

bart

Rangnath

Aidan, I have not heard of Tartarstan tokens. Sounds interesting.

Bart, that's it!! 
The Tannu-Tuva autonomous region! 
I'd love to see a coin from there.  If anyone has one, please post it!
richie

Harald

The country was named People's Republic of Tuva (it is unclear if the name "Tannu Tuva" was ever used)
It became an autonomous region much later, after the incorporation in the Soviet Union. For a short period it was using its own currency called Aksha = 100 Kopeks.

cheers
--
Harald

http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Rangnath

Thanks so much Harald!
Such a simple design.  The style of the numbers seems similar to the Russian kopeks.  I guess that the Russians were the minters?
richie

Harald

very simple indeed. the obverse is even simpler, just the name of the country and the issuing bank.

the whole monetary system was in fact based on Soviet Russia. The aksha was officially at par with the rouble, although ii can be doubted that there were many currency transactions at all.
the mint is not known (at least not to me), but probably Russian, rather than local. the minting is normally well executed, but the planchets are frequently of bad quality. this gives the coins often an unpleasant appearance.

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Rangnath