News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

differences on 20 cents 2002 from portugal

Started by wilhem, February 25, 2010, 12:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilhem

Hi all,
I was tiding my doubles euros when I saw something strange on one 10 cents 2002 from Portugal.
I compare it with the one in my collection.

The difference is located in the center of the coins. The letters PO RT UG AL are thin in one coin (right coin) and bold in the second one like a "soft strike" (left coin). I don't think it is due to a wear effect.

What are your opinion?
I haven't see any reference for that thing in the "Euro" book reference (edition Chevau-légers)

Thanks for any remarks

william

French collector of Coins & Banknotes of the World.

One day there will be no borders,no bundaries, no flags and no countries, and the only passport will be the heart (Santana)

Figleaf

Really hard to judge, even from a good illustration. My impression is that the coin on the right was struck with a new die and the coin on the left with a worn die. I think the general unsharpness is not just in the letters, but also in other places in the design. Another possibility is that one die was cleaned a bit harshly.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

wilhem

Hi Peter,
I have not cleanned these 2 coins.
You might be right for the new die but I know that it can happen sometime to have smooth strike.

Thanks
william

French collector of Coins & Banknotes of the World.

One day there will be no borders,no bundaries, no flags and no countries, and the only passport will be the heart (Santana)

RHM22

Sometimes when a die is cleaned with very heavy steel wool, some 'mushiness' (sorry for the crude expression, but I can't think of a better one in this case) will occur. I suspect that is probably the reason for difference in the letters. That said, I'm not an expert by any means on Euro coins. Rather, I am applying what I know of American error coins to your coin, since the minting process is essentially streamlined throughout the developed world.