News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Variants of State Quarters?

Started by Bimat, February 20, 2010, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

May be my question is too vague,but do any major varieties/errors exist in US state and territorial quarters(apart from mint mark)?and how common/rare are these varieties? I have recently almost completed my state quarter collection (Thanks Rangnath and AJG!).I just need the 6 territorial quarters from Denver to complete the series :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

RHM22

There are lots of minor "varieties", such as die chips and clashes that occur in humurous areas, but there is only one major variety, and that is the Wisconsin "extra-leaf" quarter.

Kid Romeo

I know of four state quarter error/variety.

Arizona- Extra Cactus
Oklahoma- Extra Wing
Wisconsin- Extra Leaf
Minnesota- Extra Tree.

You can Google and find out how they differ from the normal coins.

Bimat

Thanks,guys :) I also found related wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_State_Quarters#Collectible_value
It also mentions error Kansas quarter-In God We TRUST :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Not related to state quarters,but presidential dollars this time.Some of the Zachary Taylor presidential dollar coins have been found to have the date as 2010 instead of 2009 :o

Read full story here: http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=9545

The error coins may fetch $10,000..Just above my budget.. >:D

Aditya

RHM22

I think $10,000 would be a bargain price for this coin, assuming no others are found. To my knowledge, this is the only instance in U.S. coinage history where a coin was dated in a year other than it was intended. I was shocked when I read about it at first. I really doubt that this was an accidental error.

Globetrotter

Quote:

I know of four state quarter error/variety.

Arizona- Extra Cactus
Oklahoma- Extra Wing
Wisconsin- Extra Leaf
Minnesota- Extra Tree.

You can Google and find out how they differ from the normal coins.
end quote