Author Topic: Little piggy countermark?!!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline oldecurb

Little piggy countermark?!!
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Any ideas about the little pig countermarks on this 1853 USA quarter dollar? Are they for real or has someone (with a pig fetish) been playing?  They don't show on the other side of the coin.

It has been suggested from their positions that they are "makin' bacon"!!!!  Also if you have a bit of imagination it looks like there could be letters within the countermark

Bruce

translateltd

Re: Little piggy countermark?!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
Hi Bruce,

I squinted at these images at NZCCA, and even did some Googling to no avail.  Looking at the pictures posted here, though, I'm pretty convinced the letters say PORK in each case.  The first couple of letters are quite faint but I'm sure that's what they are ... and it kinda makes sense in context :-)

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
Aha!  Look here:

http://www.exonumia.com/art/cmd.htm

"Pork in pig" is a known countermark in the massive listing shown on the referenced site.  (It doesn't give any info as to origin, but at least it's documented.)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »
I would speculate that the c/m is political in nature and protesting corruption (pork). In a really speculative mood, I would try to connect it with the birth of the Republican party in the wake of the Kansas-Nebraska act (1854)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.