Dale special

Started by Figleaf, July 26, 2007, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

This is not the way this coin was meant to look.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Ouch, even looking at the piece hurts. ;D

Christian

Prosit

Looks pretty good!  Looks like a saw blade.  Here is one not so pretty.
Dale

Figleaf

Har har har. It's good to chat with real collectors, who appreciate uglyness. Whereas mine was made at home, yours looks like it was adjusted in shape officially. At the changeover to the euro, old gulden pieces were similarly deformed at the Dutch mint. Cleverly, they were sold to collectors. A nice illustration of what must have been by far the largest financial operation of the millennium.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Yes, that 5 Schilling piece probably went through a decoiner; those machines could "stamp" up to 5 tons of coins per hour. I still have some decoined German pieces which look pretty much like that Austrian one. They did that with the Cu-Ni coins because after that treatment the pieces were nothing but scrap metal which was easier to sell, to transport, etc.  At the Money Museum store in Frankfurt you can still buy such decoined pieces, and also notes that went through a shredder. As in NL they make money with worthless ex-money. ;D

Christian

Prosit

Yep this piece of destructive art work was done at the mint to de-coin it.  When they started doing this, I traded something US to a collector in Graz for it. Got a 10-ATS like it around here somewhere and think I have something German decoined too, but not sure about that.

So mine is a mess but it is an official mess  rotfl

Dale

Figleaf

Hey ho Silver, a whole new collecting area dooms. I absolutely need these official messes from other countries. 8)

I like decoined as a term too. Its better than the stuffy demonetized (there's a devil in that word) or the official Dutch term wokkel (reminds me of stale potato chips).

Peter

JeanPar

Here are such Dutch potato chips  ;D ;D

One is the normal gulden of 2001 and the other is the last one of 2001, with 'lion'. But the first one of this topic I like the most of all  :o ;D ;D

Figleaf

What a challenge, to find a commemorative decoined coin. Thanks JeanPar!

Peter

Prosit

So does that mean it was decoined accidentally?  A Mint un-coining error?  :o

Wonder it there were any blank planchets, decoined accidentally.........

Dale

Figleaf

No error. It's just that you expect people to hold on to commemoratives. The mint staff wouldn't even have noticed, I suppose.

Peter

chrisild

There is something fishy about JeanPar's wokkels ... If the second one actually had that obverse, I would definitely have kept it "intact". ;) Otherwise, well, the design with the little lion is nice, but that coin is not exactly rare. I can well imagine that somebody (especially people who are not collectors) would simply have it exchanged into euro cash.

Christian

Figleaf

Never underestimate people packrat instinct, Christian. I forgot the actual percentage of old coins turned in, but it was shockingly low. This one may just have slipped through anyway, though. Nevetheless, I expect it'll be quite a chhase to find a decoined commemorative.

Peter

JeanPar

Quote from: chrisild on July 28, 2007, 12:36:21 PM
There is something fishy about JeanPar's wokkels ... If the second one actually had that obverse, I would definitely have kept it "intact". ;) Otherwise, well, the design with the little lion is nice, but that coin is not exactly rare. I can well imagine that somebody (especially people who are not collectors) would simply have it exchanged into euro cash.

Christian

Dear me, that is a little bit stupid of me. :-[ I took the wrong photo when working with the Paintprogramm for putting the photos next to each other.
Christian, good of you to see, thanks! 8) I will remove the other one.

Here is the right obverse:

Prosit

Officially canceled.

Germany 1990-F 5 DM
Germany 1988-J 1Dm