News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Aurangzeb, Rupee AH 1112/44 Burhanpur KM# 300.24

Started by Medalstrike, February 05, 2010, 04:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medalstrike

Muhi ud-din Muhammad Aurangzeb Bahadur Alamgir I. 1658-1707
Rupee AH1112 RY44 Burhanpur
Silver 22.0mm, 11.5g
KM# 300.24

Dietmar
The third side of a medal rests in the eye of the beholder

Rangnath

The coin is in pristine condition Dietmar; a great find.  As a work of numismatic art, it is rather boring.  I should think that the emperor's father and grandfather would have rolled their eyes to see such a pedestrian effort representing the mighty Mogul state. I wonder if the absence of dynamism in the design isn't a harbinger of bad things to follow for the Empire? Or does this impression stem from a need for another cup of chai?
richie   

Salvete

The difference in character and religious outlook (which greatly affected what was allowed to be depicted on coins) between Aurangzeb Alamgir and his predecessors is legendary and the word 'bigot' has been bandied about by his detractors.  When little bits of decoration began to appear on his coins, it was taken as a sign that, because of his stretching of the empire's resources in the Deccan campaign, and tunnel vision regarding everything else, that he was beginning to 'lose his grip.'  Not only on the empire, perhaps also on reality?  A very sad end to a troubled and unhappy life.  Followed by a bloody and pointless war of accession because 'there is only room for one king in each land.'  India is such a small place, after all!!
Burhanpur was regarded as 'Gateway to the Deccan'
Salvete.
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.