Question about coin rolls

Started by RHM22, February 09, 2010, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHM22

In the U.S. and Canada, coins are issued in rolls. Each roll contains a certain quantity of coins (50 cents, 40 nickels, 50 dimes, 40 quarters, 20 half dollars and 25 dollars). I know that the Euro countries also issue coins in rolls, but I haven't been able to find out which other countries do. I have been informed that India and Ukraine don't issue coins in rolls. I ask because I received some rolls of Euros from a German collector, and I was inspired to attempt something a little novel - at least one roll of coins from every country that currently issues them! That's why I'm trying to find out which countries issued coins in rolls and which did not. Thanks in advance to the world of collectors out there who answer all my questions! The collective knowledge on this forum is, in my estimation, unique.

Figleaf

Dutch and French coins are issued in rolls. I think you will find that the practice is pretty universal, as rolling is a good way to count a large number of coins quickly and accurately. Rolling is also used for "recycled" coins: if you have a large number of coins, some banks will make you roll them yourself (they provide the paper) and they determine the accuracy by weighing some rolls or each roll. Handing in a large number of coins is otherwise free.

AFAIK, rolls are not collected as in North America, with the exception of some euro collectors. However, they tend to break up the roll immediately to cherry-pick it for their own collection and that of their friends. In the Netherlands, rolls that are guaranteed to contain only freshly minted coins can be bought at face on the "day of the coin", an annual feast at the Mint in Utrecht, also used for hawking coins in different packaging. In France, you can buy rolls at face in any branch office of the Banque de France, but there is no guarantee that the coins in the roll are new.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RHM22

Thanks, Peter! I wonder if the UAE uses rolls?

chrisild

In the euro area the roll "sizes" and colors are standardized, by the way: A roll of 1 cent coins will always contain 50 pieces, for example. See http://www.bundesbank.de/download/bargeld/richtlinie_fertigung_muenzrollen_en.pdf ("Roll Paper" > Color > Paper)

Christian

tonyclayton

I have seen UK coins in rolls, but it is unusual; most banks use transparent bags
and weigh them when you hand them in.  This is sufficiently accurate
to know if they are plus or minus a coin. I suspect the rolls come from supermarkets,
or maybe from Coinstar machines (do they do this?).

In the UK coins go by weight, so when the composition changes the weight stays
the same but the thickness of the coin varies.

The introduction of copper clad steel for bronze coins means a pile of 10 early ones are significantly lower than
a similar pile of steel versions.

Tony C

RHM22

The German collector I mentioned earlier also sent me some empty Euro rolls. The look like small sheets of paper and don't resemble a coin roll at all. How are these folded? Can they be folded by hand or is some type of machine required? In the U.S., the wrappers are always preformed.

RHM22

Quote from: tonyclayton on February 09, 2010, 06:42:02 PM
I have seen UK coins in rolls, but it is unusual; most banks use transparent bags
and weigh them when you hand them in.  This is sufficiently accurate
to know if they are plus or minus a coin. I suspect the rolls come from supermarkets,
or maybe from Coinstar machines (do they do this?).

In the UK coins go by weight, so when the composition changes the weight stays
the same but the thickness of the coin varies.

The introduction of copper clad steel for bronze coins means a pile of 10 early ones are significantly lower than
a similar pile of steel versions.

Tony C

Thanks for the response, Tony! That's very unusual. I was sure that the UK would use rolls. How are they purchased from the bank for use in stores and markets? It seems like bags would be impractical if you only needed £50-60 worth of coins.

RHM22

Quote from: chrisild on February 09, 2010, 06:10:06 PM
In the euro area the roll "sizes" and colors are standardized, by the way: A roll of 1 cent coins will always contain 50 pieces, for example. See http://www.bundesbank.de/download/bargeld/richtlinie_fertigung_muenzrollen_en.pdf ("Roll Paper" > Color > Paper)

Christian

I now have 1 example of each type of Euro coin paper! They make very interesting conversation pieces.

chrisild

Quote from: RHM22 on February 09, 2010, 06:54:08 PM
The German collector I mentioned earlier also sent me some empty Euro rolls. The look like small sheets of paper and don't resemble a coin roll at all. How are these folded? Can they be folded by hand or is some type of machine required? In the U.S., the wrappers are always preformed.

This is what coin roll paper looks like ... before it gets rolled. :)
http://www.herbertkoelsch.com/katimg/3801g.jpg
Then you would use a pretty simple "machine" like this one to make the rolls:
http://www.herbertkoelsch.com/katimg/9008g.jpg

Christian

RHM22

Thanks for the explanation! We have similar machines here, but they're used for rolling something other than coins. :D

andyg

Here is an example of what we Brits use to keep our money in, most of us being too mean to buy wallets.
I added some American junk so that you'd get a sense of the scale.

translateltd

NZ coins were issued in rolls when the new sizes were introduced in 2006 (10, 20 and 50c only).  Since then, however, we've had the odd situation whereby they are released by the Reserve Bank in bags, and are then rolled by a private company for distribution to local banks.  This company also handles supplies of "used" coins, so it simply does the rolls by denomination, regardless of date/new/old etc.  That means it's virtually impossible to get rolls of coins all dated 2007 or 2008, for instance.  It can pretty much be guaranteed that the only single-date rolls of NZ coins are the originals from 06.

Figleaf

Rolling coins by hand is simple, but hard to describe.

Place a pile of coins of the same size on a piece of paper. The coins should be standing on their edges, the roll of coins should run parallel to a long side of the paper and be about 1 centimeter away from that side of the paper. Hold the roll of coins together with  two fingers on each side. Use your thumbs to roll the coins away from you, taking the paper along, until they are rolled about 60-90°. Now fold the paper sticking out on both sides against the top and bottom coin. Keep rolling and folding until all the paper is used. Keep the paper in place with sticky tape in the middle and on both ends, or use some rubber bands to immobilize the paper on both ends (short rolls only). That way, you don't have to worry about the size of the paper or ingenious ways of closing the roll.

With a little practice, this technique also works for coins of different sizes. Sort them by size (easiest between two stretched fingers held alongside, with the thumb holding them upright) and place the roll of coins askew on the paper, depending on size differences. It's not as complicated as it sounds. Just try it out until you get the hang of it.

I use this method and toilet paper when I unexpectedly buy coins and I have to travel with them. In a roll, they won't bump into each other.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RHM22

Quote from: AJG on February 09, 2010, 07:58:51 PM
Here is an example of what we Brits use to keep our money in, most of us being too mean to buy wallets.
I added some American junk so that you'd get a sense of the scale.

I've never seen anything quite like that.

RHM22

Quote from: translateltd on February 09, 2010, 08:01:36 PM
NZ coins were issued in rolls when the new sizes were introduced in 2006 (10, 20 and 50c only).  Since then, however, we've had the odd situation whereby they are released by the Reserve Bank in bags, and are then rolled by a private company for distribution to local banks.  This company also handles supplies of "used" coins, so it simply does the rolls by denomination, regardless of date/new/old etc.  That means it's virtually impossible to get rolls of coins all dated 2007 or 2008, for instance.  It can pretty much be guaranteed that the only single-date rolls of NZ coins are the originals from 06.

That's interesting. How much is a 2006 roll worth? I guess they'd sell for more than face value. Our mint sometimes sells special rolls of coins in unusually colored paper to collectors.