Sultans of Gujarat, Ahmad Shah I, Falus?

Started by SilkroadDilettante, February 24, 2024, 02:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilkroadDilettante

I got these two coins with three Afghan jitals; I had assumed they were also jitals until I realised the weight (9.7g and 9.8g respectively).

After some trial and error searching on Zeno I think they are Faluses of Ahmad Shah I, Sultan of Gujarat (1411-1422 AD).

I would appreciate if someone could confirm my ID, as these are my first Islamic sultanate coins. One thing I do find odd is the flans seem to be tiny compared to other examples of full faluses? But the weight seems impossible for a half falus.

Finally, I have also just discovered Goron & Goekna's work which seems to be the standard for citing coins on Zeno. Does anyone know if, like Tye, parts of it are digitised, or do we just have to buy a copy?

The list of books I need grows ever larger...

capnbirdseye

It's not digitised but prices for the book have come down a lot, I have seen them for £1000+ a couple of years back,  see examples : BOOKS
Vic

THCoins

Just a quick hint, due to lack of time i can not look this up now.
But the names in the lower line on the side in the left photos fits better with Mahmud than with Ahmad i think.

capnbirdseye

Are they under a shiny covering? it doesn't make for good clear photography
Vic

Figleaf

It is likely that the price has come down because there was talk about an update, though not by the same authors. However, that was years ago and there has been no more news about the project.

Perhaps the safest route is finding a library that has the book and consulting it there. Hint: a long time ago, I found a pretty rare numismatic book in a library that let you make a copy for the equivalent of less than $0.10 a page. I copied the whole book at a fraction of the secondary market cost of the book. Whether this is legal depends on local laws, though and US copyright laws are outright draconian.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

SilkroadDilettante

Quote from: capnbirdseye on February 24, 2024, 05:41:49 PMIt's not digitised but prices for the book have come down a lot, I have seen them for £1000+ a couple of years back,  see examples : BOOKS

Hi Vic,

The link seems to be dead? Of the books I have added to my 'to buy' list this is definitely the cheapest! One annoying thing is it usually takes me a few months to actually get books I buy in the West as I normally have friends bring over a suitcase full for me every now and again to save on shipping to China. So while I will probably be investing in Tye, Vondrovec, Goron, I might not actually see them for the better part of a few months...

P.S. Yes they are stuck in plastic coin boxes. Almost every coin I come across in China, regardless of cost, is confined to one of these. Personally I think they are rather ugly and not really necessary for cheap coins like this. I do plan to break them out once I have a decent number and it's worthwhile investing in a tray/cabinet or similar. Izi.

SilkroadDilettante

Quote from: Figleaf on February 24, 2024, 08:41:54 PMIt is likely that the price has come down because there was talk about an update, though not by the same authors. However, that was years ago and there has been no more news about the project.

Peter

Good idea, although I think it is unlikely I will come across a copy in China. Having said that it turns out a few of my friends here who collect coins do know some people who collect South & Central Asian coins more speficially, so if they have useful resources; even Chinese ones, perhaps I can make some copies in the short term. Izi.

SilkroadDilettante

Quote from: THCoins on February 24, 2024, 05:42:51 PMJust a quick hint, due to lack of time i can not look this up now.
But the names in the lower line on the side in the left photos fits better with Mahmud than with Ahmad i think.

Thanks again Anthony- this is very well spotted. Probably I was so happy to have just landed on Gujarat correctly I didn't think to check other monarchs. I may have found a match in #170583 on Zeno which is a falus of Mahmud Shah I.

capnbirdseye

That link to Goron & Goenka was indeed dead even though i had tested the link on the post when I did it
Try this same one again, it works for me :- https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/coins-indian-sultanates/author/goron/
Vic

asm

A re-print was done a year or two back and the book would not be very costly, at least in India.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

capnbirdseye

Quote from: asm on February 26, 2024, 02:17:11 AMA re-print was done a year or two back and the book would not be very costly, at least in India.

Amit

The original printing of the book was not good as far as the binding goes, mine began to fall apart in a very short time, Stan Goron told me his also fell apart. I ended up opening the spine cover, putting PVA glue all over, putting the cover back, wrapping the book tightly in clingfilm and it fixed it better than the original  :D   
Vic

SilkroadDilettante