News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Nicest coin design of the latter half of the 20th century

Started by RHM22, February 02, 2010, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medalstrike

I like this coin also stylistically very good, plain and simple.
Gibraltar 25 New Pence 1971
38.5mm, 28.0g (Superbly located in the hand)

Dietmar
The third side of a medal rests in the eye of the beholder

UK Decimal +

Lovely coin.   I'm glad that you placed to reverse to the left to avoid confusion with the recent UK 'Charles Darwin' issue ... ...

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

RHM22

Here's another one that I quite like, though the design is much older.

The photograph is courtesy of Bill. :)

UK Decimal +

Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

sminnoch

I don't stumble into a non-ancient section very often, but when as a kid I accumulated (rather than collected) any foreign coin I could get my hand on this type was one of my favourites

Puts the lie to the "empty space" remarks remade about its designer, too.

Steve

translateltd

Quote from: sminnoch on February 08, 2010, 09:26:53 AM

Puts the lie to the "empty space" remarks remade about its designer, too.

I was just thinking that when I looked at the picture - must be one of doubtless many exceptions to prove the rule :-)

Figleaf

Thinking of design only, not of practical use, too many great designs come to mind. I like depth in coins and I find it in the Finnish and Israeli commemoratives. I like creativity, such as some Swiss commemoratives (e.g. red cross) the Irish pre-decimal coins, especially the half crown. Taking practical use on board, I think I'd go for the Israeli coins with agorah values of the sixties and seventies. They try to make you believe the coins aren't even round.

To illustrate my preferences, I am showing depth in an Israeli commemorative, creativity in the Swiss red cross coin, the Irish half crown and an example of the Israeli coin series (the others are pretty good as well).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.