Author Topic: Preserving BU Coins  (Read 1673 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Preserving BU Coins
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
Sanjay,
Amit was going to call up and find out about his booking. I will wait for his feedback before calling them.

MS

Well due to an unplanned trip abroad, I could not talk to the mint. Two days after I returned, I did not have to. Delivery promissed in 2 weeks was received in exactly 2 months.

The work is shoddy. The glue in one or two pieces is stuck also on the card surface. In quite a few (I had ordered 12 Gur ta Gaddi + 2 Braille) the glue is running out from between the folds holding the coin. I am not sure if the impression is poor or the plastic is bad, but the coin does not look as well struck as the Mumbai issue. Unfortunately for me, I had picked up the Gur ta Gaddi issue (Proof + UNC) from my office in Mumbai the same day (I take hand delivery from the mint and pick up the coins whenever I visit Mumbai), and the differences are glaring.

I am not 100% sure but have a nagging doubt about the quality of glue spoiling the coin.

Amit
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 04:54:39 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Preserving BU Coins
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
No way to be sure. At worst, the glue will leave a horrible patina you can't remove and ruin your coin, at best, the glue will just sit there and do nothing in particular. Often, glue sticks to the coin, so the covered part will not get the patina of the rest of the coin. Sometimes, the glue crumbles and disappears and your coin falls out of the card.

There is no surefire advice, it's your decision. Maybe a way to approach this is to ask yourself how likely it is that the glue was analyzed or tested and what the chances are that it is harmless.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Preserving BU Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »
Peter,
The glue in 2 cases is on  the card and between the card and the coin is the plastic holding the coin. In the others the glue is used to stick the two layers of the cards against each other. I have never ventured to open up a UNC package and hence am not sure how the coin is packed and if there is any possibility of the glue getting to the coin.

Another major unknown is that this is the first time the UNC sets have been made at the Hyderabad mint. Till now they only struck coins and bagged them.

Just wondering if I should open up one of the UNC packets and rescue the coin. It the packing is perfect, I'll leave the rest. Else, .....
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Preserving BU Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
That doesn't sound too worrisome to me. If the coins are encapsulated in plastic, the glue should be unable to reach the coin, unless it manages to dissolve the capsule first. That seems unlikely to me.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
Preserving BU Coins
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:06:56 AM »
I have a different problem. In my presentation case, there is so little glue that two pages (layers) of booklet are coming out. It appears if the coin will fall out of booklet. I am thinking of applying a thin layer of quickfix / feviquick to seal the two pages of booklet so that coin does not come in contact with air. Other than this minor glitch, the quality of my coin is very nice (considering that this is not a proof coin).

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Preserving BU Coins
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
It may be just prejudice, but personally, I prefer white solid glues to transparent liquid glues, even though the latter are harder to apply in constrained spaces.

Peter

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Preserving BU Coins
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
One glue I would recommend is PVA glue [Polyvinyl Acetate Glue]. It is designed for repair of books and some other things. It is a white glue, but dries clear. You should be able to find it anywhere book repair supplies are sold, or some stationary supply places.

Bruce