Author Topic: Russia 2010: 150th Anniversary of the Bank of Russia  (Read 5730 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Russia 2010: 150th Anniversary of the Bank of Russia
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »
Russia has just issued several silver and gold coins that commemorate the country's central bank. The Bank of Russia was established in 1860, thus 150 years ago. The four coins (or rather "coins") are:

* 3 rubles: Ag 925, fine weight 31.1 g, Ø 39.0 mm, mintage 10,000
* 25 rubles: Ag 925, f.w. 155.5 g Ø 60.0 mm, mintage 1,000
* 50 rubles: Au 999, f.w. 7.78 g, Ø 22.6 mm, mintage 2,000
* 5000 rubles: Au 999, f.w. 5 kg, Ø 130.0 mm, mintage max. 50

The obverses of the first three are basically the same:
- in the middle, the two-headed eagle and the text "Bank of Russia",
- above, the face value,
- below the metal, year, fine weight and St. Petersburg mintmark.

The obverse of the gold giant does not only show the current eagle but also the emblems of Russia and the USSR since 1860. Apparently each of these will have a serial number too. The attached images are from the central bank's website.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Russia 2010: 150th Anniversary of the Bank of Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
The reverses of the four pieces are all different:

3 rubles - the bank's 1860 statutes, some metal bars, coins and notes. Text "150 Years Bank of Russia".
25 rubles - the bank building in Moscow, with the Russian flag in color. Text "Bank of Russia founded in 1860".
50 rubles - a portrait of Alexander II, and the text "Bank of Russia founded in 1860 by the decree of the Emperor Alexander II"
5000 rubles - the bank building in St. Petersburg, with the emperor and the first two bank presidents (A.L. Shtiglits 1860-1866, E.I. Lamanskiy 1867-1881) above, and parts of the Bank Bridge in St. Petersburg below. Text "Bank of Russia founded in 1860".

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
A missed chance for an interesting circulating commemorative. Most of the designs refer exclusively to the past. The only exception is the one with the different emblems, which I find very interesting. My curiosity is also piqued by the reference to the "ukazi imperatora" that established the bank. Is this grammatically right, or an attempt to avoid the word czar?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
I don't speak Russian, so do not ask me about grammar and cases. :) But the term "imperator" itself is correct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator#Post-Roman_use

Russia does not really issue circulating commems dedicated to a specific historic event or jubilee. What they do have is those series such as "The Republics of the Russian Federation" and "Old Russian Cities". But yes, these designs (except for the 3 rubles maybe) are very classic, to put it positively. I was amazed when I saw them, and that is also why I showed them here - with the exception of the series of CoAs, they do not even try to represent a time span.

Christian

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
My curiosity is also piqued by the reference to the "ukazi imperatora" that established the bank. Is this grammatically right, or an attempt to avoid the word czar?

Before 1721 the rulers of Russia were called czar (caesar). Russian caesar was:
1) the leader of the state;
2) the religious leader (like Roman Pope);
3) the leader of the Russian ethnos.

In 1721 (after the war with Sweden and several other wars of Peter I) Russia was called an empire because it included lots of new ethnoses. So the rulers title was changed. He became "Emperor and sole ruler of all Russia, Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir and Novgorod; czar of Astrakhan; czar of Siberia; czar of Chersonesos Taurica; ruler of Pskov; grand duke of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volyn', Podolsk; duke of Estland.... etc."

So the main title was "Emperor and sole ruler of all Russia", but also he was czar, grand duke, duke, ruler of many different lands. This is the emperor's SHORT title in Russian: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/6/6c/Pavel_titul.jpg
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline ciscoins

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
I was amazed when I saw them, and that is also why I showed them here - with the exception of the series of CoAs, they do not even try to represent a time span.

By the way, that's the first time when Soviet CoAs appear at a coin of modern Russia. The tendencies are very frightening: the present regime is returning Stalin's name at the walls of Moscow underground stations, singing the praises of Stalin on TV and in the internet. And now all the three Stalin's CoAs have appeared at a coin.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
Basically I agree. But, hmm, five years ago they already had Stalin himself on a coin - "in a way" and "sort of" only, but easily recognizable ...
http://www.cbr.ru/bank-notes_coins/Base_of_memorable_coins/img/5117-0027R.gif

Christian
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:56:59 PM by Niels »

Offline gxseries

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:58:39 PM by Niels »

Offline ciscoins

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »
OOOOPS! I've forgot about that.