Author Topic: Rupee coin of Noor Jahan - Patna Mint - RY 22 - KM # 168.5  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Rupee coin of Noor Jahan - Patna Mint - RY 22 - KM # 168.5
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:09:54 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, Noor Jahan is the only woman, in whose name, the coins have been issued by Mughal Empire. Noor Jahan was married to Emperor Jahangir.

Since Noor Jahan was a woman, most of the coins issued in her name were melted by the future mughal kings, and hence, the coins of Noor Jahan are hard to find.

For more information on Noor Jahan, visit the following link:

http://www.pakistanpaedia.com/landmarks/noorjahan/noorjahan-tomb_lahore.htm

Coin Weight : 11.32 Grams, Size : 20 mm. RY 22

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Rupee coin of Noor Jahan - Patna Mint - RY 22 - KM # 168.5
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »
Needless to say, I never saw a coin of Noor Jahan before. How awful for those later mughals that she was generally considered really smart. No wonder they picked on her coins :-[

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Rupee coin of Noor Jahan - Patna Mint - RY 22 - KM # 168.5
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
That's a very nice coin.Where do you find mint mark for Patna mint?  ???

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:42:33 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, Noor Jahan is the only woman, in whose name, the coins have been issued by Mughal Empire. Noor Jahan was married to Emperor Jahangir.
Abhay

Noor Jahan was not the first woman in Dehli to have had coins issued in her name. That honour goes to Razia Sultan of the Dehli Sultans.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:17:20 AM »
Noor Jahan was not the first woman in Dehli to have had coins issued in her name. That honour goes to Razia Sultan of the Dehli Sultans.

Amit

I agree, but Razia Sultan belongs to an earlier period of Delhi Sultans, which came to an end with Suri Dynasty. Here, we are talking of the Mughal Period, which started with Babar and ended with Bahadur Shah Zafar.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:40:35 AM »
I agree, but Razia Sultan belongs to an earlier period of Delhi Sultans, which came to an end with Suri Dynasty. Here, we are talking of the Mughal Period, which started with Babar and ended with Bahadur Shah Zafar.

Abhay

Abhay,

That is precisely why I wrote Dehli and not Mughals.

AMit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
You gentlemen have presented me with a difficult choice.  Which do I like better?  Razia or Noor? 
I have to admit, that I am a great admirerer of any woman that would show her face when she rode an elephant into battle at the head of an army. But then Noor is the younger woman by over three hundred years and youth has its attraction. Look at any photograph of Noor! She was HOT.   Tough choice.  After due consideration for my own Begum, I have chosen Experience over Youth; Razia over Noor!  ::)
 Hope I didn't offend Noor devotees.
 richie