Author Topic: DE 2010: German States €2 "Bremen"  (Read 2201 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
DE 2010: German States €2 "Bremen"
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »
Here is a photo of the Bremen coin. The piece will be issued in late January - and now that the first images of the "real thing" are out, some people in Bremen are wondering about the missing Land.

The Federal Republic of Germany has 16 states (Länder), and each Land will be honored in that series. Usually a state has many, or at least several, counties and cities. Then there are two, Berlin and Hamburg, which are a city and a state at the same time. Bremen is a little different - the state consists of two cities, Bremen and Bremerhaven. A newspaper from Bremerhaven had an article about the new piece http://www.nordsee-zeitung.de/Home/Nachrichten/Startseite/Land-fehlt-auf-neuer-Muenze-_arid,244182_puid,1_pageid,52.html and wondered why the term "Land" was not added. After all, the coin - which shows two monuments from Bremen (city) - is supposed to honor the entire state ...

The picture also shows the two D's. The one in the ring of stars is for Germany, the other one is for the Munich mint. AH well, I would have preferred the "DE" for the country, but nobody listens to me ... or the Bremerhaveners. ;)

Christian
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:34:01 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »
In a few days the Bremen coins will be available ... and a major dealer who already offers them made a funny mistake in his ads. :)

So far the German €2 commems had the full country name at the bottom. But since the Stars of Europe are to appear on the ring as they appear on the European flag, the name was replaced by a mere "D". In my opinion that was not exactly a brilliant idea (see previous post), and now look carefully at the creations of this dealer ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »
I see! He forgot the E and H mintmarks. That's 3 out of 4 mintmarks forgotten or 55.5%. This will cut into his sales. It also reminds me of the businessman who was asked for the secret of his success. His reply: "Modesty. I buy at ten, sell at 20 and I am satisfied with the ten per cent profit".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
Please do not make fun at the expense of us mathematically challenged people. ;) If anybody wants to have the piece, by the way, let me know. They should be available as from Friday (29 Jan); don't know which mintmark though. But I can guarantee that whatever I get at the Bundesbank branch office here will have a "D" mark in the ring ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: DE 2010: German States €2 "Bremen"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Just got a roll at "my" local Bundesbank branch office. What was available here today came from the South - the coins have the "D" for Germany (ring) and the "F" for Stuttgart (pill). Quality is, well, OK considering these are pieces issued for circulation.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »
Excellent, chrisild! I have amused myself looking up pictures of the two design elements: city hall (Rathaus) and the Roland statue. The first is one of the few medieval buildings that never had to be rebuilt. The second dates from 1404 and is said to protect the city. Roland is the romantic hero of the Carolingian epic poem "Roland's song". On the coin, the statue is blown up.

You can see Roland on the first picture also, but it's a bit lost there.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
On the coin, the statue is blown up.

Right, the Roland appears taller than it (he?) actually is. Then again, the coin combines two different views anyway: If you look at the front of the Rathaus (city hall and state parliament) the way it is depicted on the coin, the Roland is positioned at a 90 degree angle (see attachment; image from ruhr2010.de). Both the Rathaus and the Roland are part of the Unesco World Heritage. Such Roland monuments, symbols of city rights, can still be found in quite a few European cities.

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
Got my piece today,but mine is from Karlsruhe (G).. :) Nicely designed,but not as good as the Saarland (2009) commemorative.. 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
Yes, I like the Saarland coin too, but the Bremen issue is more attractive in my opinion because it uses some artistic license. Sure, the Saarland designer also made his choice (as in, from which angle should the church be depicted), but in this case the artist went one step further. As the photos show, he combined the two main elements in a way that is not just photographic. Does of course not mean it "is" better, I just like it better.

Next year's piece, for example, is the bestest of all the German States series as it honors the state where I live ;D but the design is, oh well. A cathedral from the side, pretty much like on a photo. Ah, let me gripe about that in December or January ...

Christian