News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

KM on DVD

Started by Abhay, December 28, 2009, 04:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Now a days, the Catalog of world coins is available on CD and DVD also. Is it a good idea to buy these catalog on CD and DVD? Are images of coins in colour or B&W? can we take out the prints from CD/DVD? Of course, I see a very big advantage - you can upload these CD/DVD on your laptop, and you have your own library on the move, you are saved from the trouble of carrying all these weighty volumes, when you are on move.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

The catalogues on DVD are exactly the same as those on paper, with B/W pictures. They are .pdf files, so it's easy to make a picture of any part of the catalogue. The other big advantage of .pdf files is that they are easier to search The biggest disadvantage of .pdf is that it's harder to browse aimlessly.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

Quote from: Figleaf on December 28, 2009, 10:11:11 AM
The catalogues on DVD are exactly the same as those on paper, with B/W pictures. They are .pdf files, so it's easy to make a picture of any part of the catalogue. The other big advantage of .pdf files is that they are easier to search The biggest disadvantage of .pdf is that it's harder to browse aimlessly.

Peter

I think that only applies to the earlier DVD editions the latest ones use interactive menus. On the later versionsyou can just click on the country in the index to get to the right section.

Figleaf

If the filename ends in .pdf, it's still the same. Clicking on the bookmark icon (left sidebar of a .pdf window) will give you links to individual country chapters.

Some more hints:

• copy the files on your computer's hard disk to increase searching and browsing speed
  • browse in whole page view and zoom in only when you have found something
  • Adobe says the Reader software indexes searches and search result*
  • copy picture or text with the Reader's tools. Paste them in a graphics programme for further use
  • make pictures in 200% zoom. They'll still be sharp and larger, of course.

* if so, repeating searches will make them faster.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

I know what you mean about browsing aimlessly - there is much to be learned from opening a book at random and seeing where there is to be read.  It's much harder to achieve with a PDF ...

Figleaf

I just received the 6th edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1801-1900. It is much like the 5th edition, but with updated prices. Some striking differences are that the new edition counts around 100 pages more. Both proclaim that they contain 27 500 photo's,so the difference has to be in the texts. I have tried to find new text. There must be some, but I couldn't find it. The pages hold one or two lines less, but would that add up to 100 pages?

Krause Publications removed some of the introductory texts, such as the instructions on sending images, the list of legends and the denomination index. I will miss all three. I could have done without the foreign exchange table (better data are available on the internet) and the "instant identifier" pictures. A page with grades in different languages, known from other parts of the catalogue was added. There are more ads, they are now in colour and all at the back.

I use the 1801-1900 part more than any of the others, so I welcome this new edition, all the more because it shows that there is a market for this catalogue, in other words there are plenty of people collecting these coins. That's good news. Numismatics hasn't lost to online gaming and Wii yet...

Peter

Abhay

I have just received the CD editions of the World Coin Catalog. I must say, they are very cheap as compared to the Heavy Book Catalogs. I got them very cheap, thanks to the New year promotional offers by Krause Publications. I got all the 5 volumes of World Coins (1601-1700; 1701-1800; 1801-1900; 1901-2000 and 2001-Date) +  2 volumes of World Paper Money catalog (1368-1960; 1961 - present) for USD 102.58 only (Inclusive of Postage to India). I have just started using them, and my first impression - they are GOOD!

The files are in PDF format, and therefore, you can also copy all the 7 CDs on a USB Pendrive of 8GB, and you will literally have all the knowledge in your pocket. I am really impressed.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

wilhem

Hi all,
I bought some years ago the 3 DVD set for Standard Catalog of World Coins (2008 edition) with the help of an american friend because I can't get it in France.
Is there now some dealer now in France to provide us that kind of set or shall we still order from USA?

I love this DVD. I hope I will buy the ones for banknotes soon.

It's a pity that the images are only B/W not in colour but I suppose the file will be too huge.

William
French collector of Coins & Banknotes of the World.

One day there will be no borders,no bundaries, no flags and no countries, and the only passport will be the heart (Santana)

Figleaf

Try this link, but make sure you get the original version.

Peter

wilhem

Thanks Peter but I will prefer not buy it as an auction but direct sale.
And it seems the auction ended the 17th dec. 2009 20:34:29 Paris.

I might try to contact the saler.

Regards.
william

One day there will be no borders,no bundaries, no flags and no countries, and the only passport will be the heart (Santana)

Figleaf

Consider that with the USD at a low point, it may be cheaper to buy it in the US again. You can order the books online here.

Peter

Abhay

Dear Mr. William,

You can visit this site, if you prefer to buy directly from the shop. Keep watching for the special offers and discount sales. You never know when you can get a good bargain.

http://www.shopnumismaster.com/

Recently, I bought all the 5 Coin DVD + 2 Banknotes DVD for USD 103.00 (Inclusive of Postage to India). I got them as special offer for Christmas and New Year Sale.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on January 29, 2010, 01:30:14 AM
Consider that with the USD at a low point, it may be cheaper to buy it in the US again.

I second that. Currently the US dollar is not that low from a euro POV - about 1.40 these days - but checking US sources out sure makes sense. I got mine (printed catalogs plus disks, for 1900-today) via amazon.com for example.

Christian

wilhem

Christian,
Did you order it via USA directly with amazon or via Germany?
Anq is the shiping is not not expensive?

William

chrisild

In this case I ordered right from amazon.com; the account data are the same as what I use with amazon.de (Germany). Lemme see what I paid ...

Subtotal of Items: EUR 44,16
Shipping & Handling: EUR 8,67
---------
Total for this Order: EUR 52,83

1 "2010 Standard Catalog of World Coins - 1901-2000"
George S. Cuhaj; Paperback; $37.80
1 "2010 Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001-Date"
George S. Cuhaj; Paperback; $23.10

That was in late August 2009; don't know how much they currently charge for the books and for shipping. I did choose the least expensive (read: a slow :) ) shipping option, but so what ...

Christian