Guernsey: 10 pence series 12 days of Christmas 2023

Started by andyg, October 05, 2023, 12:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

More stuff from your favourite distributors,
A 12 days of Christmas 10p set from Guernsey.
Available now for just a large premium over face.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offa

Not bound for my collection. Westminster are killing the hobby with these junk issues
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

Figleaf

countdown.jpg

Ireland has already reacted with a special edition of 24 coins, exclusively packaged in gingerbread for only £20. Eat your heart out, Westminster.

The issuers have solemnly declared that, like the coins, the gingerbread does not include any ginger or any bread either.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

A question (for anyone who isn't from the UK) - why these designs?
Not sure how well the link is known between the designs and Christmas elsewhere.

Figleaf

I won't bother you with obvious marketeering "target group" reasoning.

The "days of Christmas" song is part neither of the Dutch nor of the French Christmas tradition. Perhaps its place was taken by advent. I can't remember seeing advent stuff in UK shops, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention. The main paraphernalia of advent are calendars (an excuse to feed children an overdose of sugar and fat) and chandeliers (more traditional and religiously oriented but also much rarer, except in Germany).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Yes, I remember baffling a fellow collector by predicting the next 50p in the Isle of Man Christmas series.... the song is just not well known outside the UK.

The 12 days begin on Christmas day - not advent by the way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Days_of_Christmas

chrisild

Quote from: andyg on October 05, 2023, 07:38:28 PMA question (for anyone who isn't from the UK) - why these designs?
Not sure how well the link is known between the designs and Christmas elsewhere.

The "connection" can be found here for example. Images included. ;D